Coffee drinkers are well aware of the stains that result from an accidental spill of their favorite cup of Java. Here is one time when the staining qualities of coffee are desirable. A coffee rinse will add luster and more intensive tone to brown hair.
Simple Coffee Rinse
Brew 2-4 cups of espresso or strong coffee. Allow it to cool. Use one of the following methods:
- Pour coffee over your hair after you shampoo and condition. Leave it in as you dry and style your hair.
- Pour over dry hair. Leave on thirty minutes and then shampoo out
- Pour over your hair after you shampoo and condition. Leave it in while you finish the rest of your shower. Then gently rinse.
- Shampoo your hair. Pour coffee over your hair and wait 20 minutes. Rinse the coffee out of your hair with beer or apple cider vinegar to seal in the color. Then rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- Shampoo your hair and rinse thoroughly and allow your hair to dry. Apply the coffee with a spray bottle and gently comb through. Allow coffee to remain in your hair for twenty minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water.
NOTES on Coffee Rinses!
- The exact amount of coffee to use depends on the length and thickness of your hair, but 2-4 cups is usually recommended.
- Do not use instant coffee since it may contain additives that can damage your hair.
- Be sure the coffee is not hot. Since your scalp is much more sensitive to temperature than your hands, if the coffee feels hot to your finger, it will feel even hotter on your head.
- Do not use this on very light or bleached hair since coffee will stain porous or light hair.
- Coffee can also stain your towels and other equipment.
Natural colorants will help you to take better care of your hair.
For more intense color try this recipe
Coffee Paste Colorant Rinse
- 2 egg-whites
- 8 ounces of fresh brewed coffee
- 8 ounces of water
Combine ingredients into a paste-like mixture. Apply mixture on hair for 10 minutes. Wash with a mild shampoo.
Recipes have been gathered from friends, family, customers, and other sources. We have not tried all of these recipes and provide them as fun and interesting alternatives to commercial products.
We do not guarantee that they will work for you as they have worked for others.