Natural Shampoo Bars are an all-natural product. Commercial shampoos are NOT.
Our shampoo bars only contain the ingredients that they need—not the extra preservatives that liquid shampoos require for their shelf life. Most over the counter shampoos are 97% water! Once water is added to make a liquid shampoo, it is almost impossible to create an all natural product and still keep the bacteria and mold out. That is why we make solid shampoo bars, no need for chemical preservatives. Hair is often damaged and stripped of its natural lipid coating by harsh chemicals in shampoos, leaving hair dry, brittle and lacking luster
At the Chagrin Valley we use 100% pure natural plant oils which are easily absorbed and nourishing to your skin and scalp. Our natural shampoo bars contain no animal fats, no synthetic oils, no artificial fragrances, no detergents, and no chemical preservatives. Our solid shampoo will not strip the natural oils from your hair, so many people do not even need to use a conditioner.
Commercial shampoos are actually made from various detergents, synthetic materials, processed chemicals and cleansers, and stabilizers that are harsh on your hair and scalp and strip it of it's natural protective oils and moisture. In order to compensate for the way in which they strip natural oils from your scalp, you reach for the bottle of conditioner. These conditioners simply coat the hair weighing it down. When that coating is removed your hair has more body.
Although lather has little to do with how well a shampoo works, consumers often judge a shampoo on how well it lathers. That is why most commercial shampoos use harsh surfactants or foam boosters such as sodium laurel sulfate (SLS) or members of its family. These cheap foam boosters generates a large amount of foam, and when salt is added it thickens to give the illusion of being thick, rich, and expensive.
Sodium laurel sulfates were originally designed to clean floors and can be found in items like garage floor cleaners, engine degreasers, and car wash soaps. Do not be fooled by companies that claim "no SLS" on their labels. They have usually simply substituted one of its close relatives.
The strong detergents in commercial shampoos can dry the skin and hair, irritate the scalp and may contribute to hair loss. Our shampoo bars do not contain Sodium Laurel Sulfate, Benzoin, DEA (diethanolamide) or any other synthetic ingredients that are found in most commercial shampoos.
Although foamy lather is not necessary for cleaning, most people agree that a shampoo MUST have lots of lather. Made with lathering oils like coconut, babassu and castor bean, our solid shampoo bars have a fabulous, fluffy lather.
Our organic shampoo bars contain only natural ingredients that clean and nourish the hair and scalp.
Commercial shampoos use synthetic fragrances or "nature identical" oils, colorants and other additives that can irritate your scalp. Thousands of ingredients are used to create synthetic sent. These ingredients come in powder or crystalline form and need solvents in order to be dissolved. A common solvent that has been used for over 50 years is DEP (Di Ethyl Phthalate).
Some companies reduce the strength of their fragrance oils by cutting them with chemicals like (Di Propylene Glycol). The sad fact--since "fragrance" blends are usually proprietary, the consumer never sees the list of chemicals used to create them.
Scented with pure botanical essential oils and colored with natural botanicals and clays, Chagrin Valley natural shampoo bars contain only natural and organic ingredients.
Organic shampoo bars are eco-friendly. Our shampoo bars are biodegradable with no harsh chemicals to contaminate our water supply. Many of the synthetic chemicals found in commercial shampoo do not naturally breakdown. Instead as they wash down our drains and accumulate in our ecosystems. These chemicals infiltrate our our lakes, streams, rivers and public water systems.
Our shampoo bars are made with organic ingredients. Organic ingredients means organic farming and organic farming is better for the environment. It improves the quality of our environment by protecting our land and groundwater from contamination and by promoting the use of sustainable resources and the conservation of soil and water.
Our shampoo bars are packaged in recyclable cardboard which means no plastic bottles to pollute our environment.
TSA Friendly Shampoo: Our non-liquid solid shampoo bars are great for traveling. These fluffy lathering shampoo bars can double as body soap and shaving soap, which makes them great for camping, traveling, business trips, and the gym. No need to pack little bottles of soap, shampoo and conditioner. One shampoo bar can do it all.
We begin each of our shampoo bar recipes with a special blend of hair and scalp nourishing oils combined to create an exceptional all natural hair care product. We make each shampoo bar unique by adding a variety of butters and oils, essential oils, and oils infused with botanicals that promote a naturally clean scalp to insure the proper environment for healthy hair to grow.
COMPARE for Yourself!
- Saponified oils of:
- carrot infused sunflower
- organic palm
- castor bean
- virgin shea butter
- goat milk
- aloe vera
- essential oils of:
- carrot seed
- rosemary oil extract
A Popular Shampoo
- Sodium Laureth Sulfate (a detergent and surfactant found in many personal care products like soaps, shampoos, toothpaste etc. It is an inexpensive and very effective foamer)
- Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (same as above)
- Cocamide MEA (synthetic foaming agent cationic surfactant in shampoos and bath products, also an emulsifying agents in cosmetics)
- Zinc Carbonate
- Glycol Distearate
- Dimethicone (a type of silicone used to replace natural oils stripped by
detergents by coating the hair. The silicone coating makes the hair feel softer and means it is less likely to tangle because the silicone coating separates each hair from another. Dimethicone can be problematic since it can accumulate on the hair.)
- Cetyl Alcohol (a surfactant)
Polyquaternium 10 (a polymer used in shampoo to help hair lay flat. Their positive charges also ionically bond them to hair and skin.)
- Magnesium Sulfate
- Sodium Benzoate (synthetic preservative. Shown to damage cellular DNA--there is a whole array of degenerative diseases--the whole process of aging.)
- Magnesium Carbonate Hydroxide
- Ammonium Laureth Sulfate (same as Sodium Laureth Sulfate)
- Benzyl Alcohol (a bacteriostatic preservative known for its toxic effects including respiratory failure, vasodilation, hypotension, convulsions, and paralysis. Neonatal deaths have been associated with the use of benzyl alcohol as a preservative in saline solutions. Also used as a general solvent for paints.)
- Sodium Chloride
- Melaleuca Alternifolia Leaf Oil (tea tree)
- Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract
- Methylchloroisothiazolinone (a synthetic preservative. Like a number of other common cosmetics ingredients, it has been considered to be a carcinogen. It is also an allergen.)
- Methylisothiazolinone (a synthetic preservative. Studies have shown it to be allergenic and cytotoxic, and this has led to some concern over its use. It affects the ability of young or developing neurons to grow and process.)
- Sodium Xylenesulfonate (synthetic surfactant added to thicken shampoo, and to help keep some other ingredients in solution thus making the product clear or transparent)
- Yellow 5
- Blue 1
This shampoo states on the label that it is made with Tea Tree Oil and natural herbal extracts. Notice how far down the ingredients list you must go before finding the two (in green) natural ingredients!
After comparing ingredients ask yourself . . .
Which would you rather use on your skin, scalp and hair?
Indulge your hair with an all natural herbal shampoo and conditioner all in one bar and have fabulous, full, shiny, healthy hair!
When we say NATURAL we mean NATURAL! That is our promise to you!