We test all of our products on ourselves, family members and friends who are happy to volunteer.
Although our products are made with all natural ingredients, people can be allergic to natural ingredients such as plants, nuts and oils. An ingredient that is very mild and soothing for one person can be an allergen for another!
There is no soap or cosmetic product in this world that is truly "allergy-free" for everyone!
Each product description on our website includes a complete list of ingredients.
- Please read through all ingredients listed.
- People who have food allergies are not always allergic to the same items in skin care products.
- In case you are in doubt do an "allergy patch test."
- Check out our "Common Allergies" page
Before using any new product you should perform a patch test for reactions or sensitivities.
Allergy Patch Test
- Apply a small amount of item you are testing* on the upper part of your inner arm (at the crook of the elbow).
- Cover it with a bandage.
- Choose a time of day where you can leave the patch test in place for least 24 hours without getting it wet.
- If you are sensitive to any of the ingredients, a reaction such as reddening, burning, itching, or other irritation, should occur within twenty-four hours of application.
- If you don't see or feel any reaction, the preparation is probably safe to use. (See note under Allergic contact dermatitis.)
*If you are testing herbs, mix a small amount of herbs with water to make a paste. Apply the herbal paste for the patch test.
What is patch testing?
Patch testing is a way of identifying a substance that causes contact dermatitis (inflammation of the skin). There are two types of contact dermatitis: irritant contact dermatitis and allergic contact dermatitis.
- Irritant contact dermatitis: An irritant reaction does not involve the immune system. It is most pronounced immediately after the patch is removed and fades over the next day. Although a substance that causes an irritant reaction may exacerbate skin conditions such as eczema, the reaction will not get worse with repeated exposure to the irritant.
- Allergic contact dermatitis: An allergic reaction is due to substance called an allergen and occurs only in those who are allergic to that particular substance. These reactions involve the immune system. Since an allergic reaction may take a few days to develop, if you are an allergic type person it is important to keep an eye on the patch area for a few days after the patch is removed before using the product. A substance that causes an allergic reaction should be avoided completely. The more times the skin is exposed to the substance, the worse the allergic reaction can become.
Some of our soaps have no scent added—you’ll love the earthy smell of natural soap. Many have distinct natural aromas due to honey, grains, flowers, spices, or herbs.
Scented soaps have all natural plant essential oils added, not synthetic fragrances. Again "all-natural" does not mean "allergy-free." Natural plant essential oils may still cause skin irritation or reactions in certain individuals.
If you notice any adverse affects, please discontinue use.
People with severe allergies--please note: If you have severe anaphylactic type reactions to ANY of the ingredients we use please do not buy our products. Our soap shop is kept meticulously clean and all soaps/shampoos are cured in separate containers. But we cannot guarantee that one soap did not touch another.