Did you ever notice that so many people are ticklish under their arm? Your underarms are one of the most sensitive parts of your body.
Why Are Underarms More Sensitive?
- Underarm skin is a bit thinner than the skin on other parts of your body
- Underarm skin is not exposed to outside elements which can make skin tougher
- Underarms usually get very little sunlight
- The warm, moist environment is a breeding ground for bacteria
- The friction that occurs when underarms rub against skin or clothing can cause skin irritation
- Underarms are home to lots of nerves and lymph nodes
You may notice that you can feel a simple touch more than you can on other areas of the body. When you add up all of these factors you can see why underarm skin is not only more sensitive, but also more prone to irritation.
- Keep your underarms clean
- Shaving can really irritate sensitive skin
- Be sure to moisturize after shaving
- Shave at night before bedtime to allow the skin to heal a bit overnight
- Underarm pores can get clogged, so it is a good idea to gently exfoliate the area periodically
- Since this area is so sensitive, use the gentler products madde to exfoliate your face rather than your body
- Do not use scratchy accessories, like loofahs, when washing which may irritate sensitive skin
- Use a natural, organic, moisturizing deodorant