CLAY Silk Fresh Mint
An organic clay cream deodorant made with soothing and moisturizing organic ingredients that absorb quickly, leave no greasy residue and help you stay fresh naturally.
Our natural mineral deodorant combines the antibacterial properties of virgin coconut oil and essential oils to minimize and neutralize odors naturally.
A great alternative for folks sensitive to baking soda.
- Moisturizing virgin coconut oil has natural antibacterial properties that safely and effectively help neutralize underarm odor
- Silky organic arrowroot powder soothes skin and absorbs perspiration
- Bentonite clay helps absorb sweat naturally
- Essential oil blend has antibacterial, antiseptic, and healing properties
- This blend of organic essential oils, known for their antibacterial properties, provides an invigorating scent with complex minty notes.
For those who would like an applicator for our cream deodorants, try the back side of our oval bamboo spatula.
Our natural deodorants combat odor and wetness without harmful chemicals. Some of the students at Chagrin Yoga, in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, are fans of our products, especially our organic deodorants. Thank you to the students and studio for allowing us to film one of their classes as part of our video. Namaste!
How to Use
Directions: Our cream deodorant is best applied after showering or bathing.
- Use daily in place of your old deodorant
- Using clean fingers, or an applicator, scoop out a small amount (size of a dime)
- Gently apply it to your clean, dry underarm
- Rub gently until smooth and spread it around as it melts on your warm skin
For those who would like an applicator for our cream deodorants, try the back side of our oval bamboo spatula.
Many people transition seamlessly to a natural deodorant. Others report a transition period.
I do not believe in "armpit detox" the way in which it is described by many companies that sell natural deodorant.
Armpit "detox" is simply a normal adjustment period.
Our bodies are quite resistant to change. Our bodies enjoy the status quo. They see change as a disruption and often resist change even if it is a positive one.
The bottom line--our body needs time to adjust to change and since each of us is a unique individual and our bodies are all quite different the timeline varies from person to person.
Ultimately, it depends on your unique body chemistry.
Since there was so much information I wanted to share, I have written two blogs:
Part 1: Causes of Armpit Rash - Transitioning To Natural Deodorant, discusses the adjustment period and the possible causes of irritation and or rashes that some may experience when switching from a conventional antiperspirant/deodorant to an all natural deodorant.
Part 2: Transitioning To Natural Deodorant, provides some suggestions to help with the adjustment period and or to help alleviate the causes of irritation reviewed below. Part 2 also answers some common questions about using a natural deodorant.
The whitish beads are concentrated beads of nourishing plant butters which solidify into little butter bits as they cool.
Natural unrefined and unprocessed butters, like our Virgin Shea and Cocoa, will occasionally separate in some products with changes in temperature.
Although we see the little beads most often in the Summer months, changes in temperature as the products make their journey can happen any time of year. The concentrated beads of butter will melt as you massage the product into your skin.
Our goal is to create the best natural, wholesome, nourishing skincare possible, so we formulate our products without synthetic stabilizers, emulsifiers, or waxes. Most companies do not use unrefined or virgin botanical butters because they are so difficult to work with, but we know that unrefined butters are much more nourishing!
For more information read our "Shea Butter Tutorial."
We do not use synthetic stabilizers or waxes, so our delicate natural products packaged in glass jars and metal tins are sensitive to temperature changes.
While shipping during warm weather seasons presents a real challenge to our natural skin care company, we accept the challenge in order to maintain our standard of natural and nourishing skin care. We hope you agree.
During warm weather, products may soften or even melt as they sit in warm mail trucks, mailboxes, or on front porches.
The quality and healing properties of our products are not affected by melting.
On sunny or warm days, BEFORE opening the jars or tins, place the items in your refrigerator for a few hours to allow them to harden, just in case they have melted in transit. If you open items, especially those in tins, to check if melting has occurred, they may spill and make a mess!
What To Do About Melting
Cream Deodorants: If you think that your balm-like deodorant is melted or runny, BEFORE opening the jar, pop it in the freezer for 10 - 15 minutes. As it begins to harden give it a stir (so that the solids do not sink to the bottom) and place it back in the freezer until firm!
Sometimes a cream deodorant can melt during warm transit and then slowly resolidify before you receive it. This melting and slow cooling can result in a grainy feeling. If your deodorant feels grainy, simply melt it, mix thoroughly, and place it in the refrigerator until solid.
Since the stick deodorant are made with more beeswax, they are less sensitive to an increase in outside temperature
Whipped Body Butters: Place a melted body butter in the refrigerator until firm.
Our hand-whipped process adds tiny air bubbles that increase the volume, just like whipping cream. If a whipped product melts, the air bubbles collapse and the volume is decreased.
So, although the jar was filled to the top initially, there will be less volume in the container (since it has deflated) and the container may actually look half full.
After cooling a melted Whipped Butter will be the consistency of our body balm and is still a great moisturizer.
If a Sugar Scrub melts, the oil may separate out a bit. Give it a good mix and place it in the refrigerator for about 10 to 15 minutes. As it begins to harden up give it another stir to disperse the sugars and place it back in the refrigerator. Once it's solidified and mixed it will be great to use! Again because it is a whipped product, the container may have less volume when the whipped butters melt.
The answer is, YES!
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
The most important consideration in any business is its customers. Today's world of misleading claims, false advertising, and simple deception, often leaves consumers trying to discover the truth about personal products and their ingredients.
- We want our customers to know that we are committed to transparency in everything we do.
- We want our customers to know that when we say "organic," we mean it.
- We believe that in becoming a USDA Certified Organic company, our customers do not have to wonder if we really use certified organic ingredients or if our organic products are truly organic.
- So we choose to be a certified organic company and abide by the strict standards required for organic certification.
Did you ever notice that so many people are ticklish under their arm? Your underarms are one of the most sensitive parts of your body.
Why Are Underarms More Sensitive?
- Underarm skin is a bit thinner than the skin on other parts of your body
- Underarm skin is not exposed to outside elements which can make skin tougher
- Underarms usually get very little sunlight
- The warm, moist environment is a breeding ground for bacteria
- The friction that occurs when underarms rub against skin or clothing can cause skin irritation
- Underarms are home to lots of nerves and lymph nodes
You may notice that you can feel a simple touch more than you can on other areas of the body. When you add up all of these factors you can see why underarm skin is not only more sensitive, but also more prone to irritation.
- Keep your underarms clean
- Shaving can really irritate sensitive skin
- Be sure to moisturize after shaving
- Shave at night before bedtime to allow the skin to heal a bit overnight
- Underarm pores can get clogged, so it is a good idea to gently exfoliate the area periodically
- Since this area is so sensitive, use the gentler products made to exfoliate your face rather than your body
- Do not use scratchy accessories, like loofahs, when washing which may irritate sensitive skin
- Use a natural, moisturizing deodorant
All of Chagrin Valley's natural soap, shampoo bars, and personal care products are certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny.
The Leaping Bunny Program was developed in 1996, by The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC), to identify and support companies that are doing their part to help eliminate the unnecessary use and mistreatment of animals to test cosmetic products and ingredients. The CCIC is made up of eight animal protection groups including the Humane Society of the U.S., as well as groups from Canada and Europe.
At Chagrin Valley we obviously do not test our finished products on animals (other than human volunteers), but what about the raw materials, the ingredients we use? Many products display labels claiming that their finished product is ‘not tested on animals’ but this does not guarantee that the product ingredients are actually free from animal testing.
The CCIC Standard is a pledge that a company makes to remove animal testing from all stages of product development. Our pledge to buy ingredients that are cruelty-free is integrated into the purchase order contract for all of our suppliers.
Personal care products displaying the “real” Leaping Bunny logo are certified ‘cruelty-free' using the internationally recognized Humane Cosmetics Standards. These rigorous standards require that no animal testing is performed or authorized for finished products or ingredients in any stage of product development by the company, its laboratories or its suppliers after a fixed cut-off date. All Leaping Bunny companies are subject to independent audits and pledge commitments are renewed on an annual basis.
At Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve . . .
- we do NOT test our products on animals
- we do NOT use ingredients tested on animals
- we do NOT sell into markets that require animal testing
The Leaping Bunny Program provides
the best assurance to consumers
that they are making compassionate shopping choices
by purchasing Cruelty-Free skin care!
We hand blend all of our own products in small batches to ensure freshness, consistency, and perfection.
Our products are not made to sit on store shelves for years and years.
Although there are natural preservatives within the chemical structure of natural ingredients, they are nowhere near as potent as the synthetic preservatives used in commercial products to prolong shelf-life.
Other than soap, our products are remade every few weeks and none are very old when they are sold. Our products, other than soap, should be opened within 6 months of purchase.
Since we use no preservatives or chemical stabilizers, the more important question is, "how long will the product last once it has been opened?
Once opened, skin care products become exposed to dirt and microorganisms (bacteria, yeasts, and molds) that are found in the air and on the skin.
As soon as you open and begin to use any product, simply the way in which you use it will affect its lifespan.
So, we are beginning to use the PAO (period-after-opening) symbol. These symbols are already available on the product pages of our website and we are in the process of adding them to all of our labels.
The POA symbol is a standard symbol that identifies the useful lifetime of a skin care product after it has been opened for the first time.
As you can see from the picture on the left, the symbol is an open jar with a written number and the letter "M" for the word "months."
A product with a "6M" would mean that it is good for 6 months after opening.
Tip: write the date you open a product for the first time on its label so you can keep track of the period after opening.
This POA number represents our best suggestion. There are many factors that can affect the lifespan of a product. If a product is discolored, has an unpleasant smell or looks odd, the product should not be used and should be discarded.
- Each time you place your warm fingers into a tin or jar, you melt some of the butter which can change the consistency of the product.
- Fingers also introduce bacteria and other contaminants into the product.
- If a product has not been stored properly, for example, if the lid has been left off for long periods of time, the product may ‘go off’ before the period after opening has passed.
- As scented products age, some of the natural essential oil scent may be lost. Pure essential oils just do not have the staying power of synthetic fragrance oils.
- Over time, natural colors may also fade.
If you’re like me, and you find an old dusty product hiding in a drawer, makeup bag, or even a suitcase from your last trip, you can call us with the lot number and we can verify its age. Obviously, if it seems off in any way, toss it!
Please note: This PAO symbol is widely used in Europe to recommend the length of time a product remains usable after opening, for products that have a shelf-life of at least 30 months. Our products do NOT have a shelf-life of 30 months before opening.