Our organic natural stick deodorant readily absorbs into your skin to help you stay fresh naturally with a refreshing, clean scent.
- Moisturizing virgin coconut oil has antibacterial properties that naturally and effectively help neutralize underarm odor
- Silky organic cornstarch soothes skin and absorbs perspiration
- Baking soda makes underarms less friendly to odor causing bacteria
- Essential oil blend includes Tea Tree Oil with antibacterial and antifungal properties to help prevent odor
Our natural deodorants combat odor and wetness without harmful chemicals. Some of the students at Chagrin Yoga, in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, are fans of our products, especially our organic deodorants. Thank you to the students and studio for allowing us to film one of their classes as part of our video. Namaste!
How to Use
- Use daily in place of your old deodorant
- Use on clean and dry underarms
- Push up on the tube base to expose a small amount of deodorant
- Baking soda can be a bit abrasive, so to prevent irritation do not rub the deodorant stick onto your skin
- Hold the stick on your armpit for a few seconds before applying to allow the natural warmth of your body to soften the natural deodorant for a smoother application
Did you ever notice that so many people are ticklish under their arm? Your underarms are one of the most sensitive parts of your body.
Why Are Underarms More Sensitive?
- Underarm skin is a bit thinner than the skin on other parts of your body
- Underarm skin is not exposed to outside elements or get a lot of use which makes skin tougher
- Underarms usually get very little sunlight
- Underarms are home to lots nerves and lymph nodes
You may notice that you can feel a simple touch more than you can on other areas of the body. When you add up all of these factors you can see why underarm skin is not only more sensitive, but also more prone to irritation.
- Keep your underarms clean
- Shaving can really irritate sensitive skin
- Be sure to moisturize after shaving
- Shave at night before bedtime to allow the skin heal a bit overnight
- Underarm pores can get clogged, so it is a good idea to gently exfoliate the area periodically
- Since this area is so sensitive, use the gentler products made to exfoliate your face rather than your body
- Do not use scratchy accessories, like loofahs, when washing which may irritate sensitive skin
- Use a natural, moisturizing deodorant
Many people transition seamlessly to a natural deodorant. Others report a transition period.
I do not believe in "armpit detox" the way in which it is described by many companies that sell natural deodorant.
Armpit "detox" is simply a normal adjustment period.
Our bodies are quite resistant to change. Our bodies enjoy the status quo. They see change as a disruption and often resist change even if it is a positive one.
The bottom line--our body needs time to adjust to change and since each of us is a unique individual and our bodies are all quite different the timeline varies from person to person.
Ultimately, it depends on your unique body chemistry.
Since there was so much information I wanted to share, I have written two blogs:
Part 1: Causes of Armpit Rash - Transitioning To Natural Deodorant, discusses the adjustment period and the possible causes of irritation and or rashes that some may experience when switching from a conventional antiperspirant/deodorant to an all natural deodorant.
Part 2: Transitioning To Natural Deodorant, provides some suggestions to help with the adjustment period and or to help alleviate the causes of irritation reviewed below. Part 2 also answers some common questions about using a natural deodorant.
The answer is, YES!
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
The most important consideration in any business is its customers. Today's world of misleading claims, false advertising, and simple deception, often leaves consumers trying to discover the truth about personal products and their ingredients.
- We want our customers to know that we are committed to transparency in everything we do.
- We want our customers to know that when we say "organic," we mean it.
- We believe that in becoming a USDA Certified Organic company, our customers do not have to wonder if we really use certified organic ingredients or if our organic products are truly organic.
- So we choose to be a certified organic company and abide by the strict standards required for organic certification.
What Are Essential Oils?
Have you ever enjoyed the scent of a fragrant flower or herb? The fragrance comes from potent, aromatic compounds called essential oils.
These natural compounds are found in the flowers, stems, seeds, bark, roots, fruits and other parts of plants.
Essential oils not only give plants their unique scents, they also help lure plant pollinators and protect plants from insects and other predators.
The chemical composition of essential oils can provide valuable psychological and physical aromatherapeutic benefits.
It is important to note that to be a true essential oil, the oil must be isolated from the plant material by physical means only. Essential oils are NEVER extracted using solvents.
Although synthetic fragrances or "nature identical" oils are available at a much lower cost, only natural plant essential oils to will provide the botanical benefits.
If you are pregnant or under a doctor's care for any medical condition, please consult your healthcare provider before using essential oils.
What Are Essential Oils? (Much more detail)
Go to our Blog Pages and click "Essential Oils" in the category section on the left to read a lot more information on essential oils.
Trying to choose the right natural soap and skin care products can be a bit overwhelming especially when you have allergies and/or skin sensitivities.
Since we proudly list every ingredient in all of our products, reading the ingredient list will help to eliminate ingredients that may cause you problems.
We receive so many emails asking for help with allergies, we created categories in our “Help Me Choose” section to provide information for those with allergies or sensitivities to nuts, coconut, shea butter and gluten.
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny.
The Leaping Bunny Program was developed in 1996, by The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC), to identify and support companies that are doing their part to help eliminate the unnecessary use and mistreatment of animals to test cosmetic products and ingredients. The CCIC is made up of eight animal protection groups including the Humane Society of the U.S., as well as groups from Canada and Europe.
At Chagrin Valley we obviously do not test our finished products on animals (other than human volunteers), but what about the raw materials, the ingredients we use? Many products display labels claiming that their finished product is ‘not tested on animals’ but this does not guarantee that the product ingredients are actually free from animal testing.
The CCIC Standard is a pledge that a company makes to remove animal testing from all stages of product development. Our pledge to buy ingredients that are cruelty-free is integrated into the purchase order contract for all of our suppliers.
Personal care products displaying the “real” Leaping Bunny logo are certified ‘cruelty-free' using the internationally recognized Humane Cosmetics Standards. These rigorous standards require that no animal testing is performed or authorized for finished products or ingredients in any stage of product development by the company, its laboratories or its suppliers after a fixed cut-off date. All Leaping Bunny companies are subject to independent audits and pledge commitments are renewed on an annual basis.
At Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve . . .
- we do NOT test our products on animals
- we do NOT use ingredients tested on animals
- we do NOT sell into markets that require animal testing
The Leaping Bunny Program provides
the best assurance to consumers
that they are making compassionate shopping choices
by purchasing Cruelty-Free skin care!
I just wanted to rave about your deodorant sticks. I've tried natural deodorants in the past (not from here) and they were TERRIBLE. Within a few hours I'd be putting on my regular deodorant because I would reek. So I was hesitant to try yours. So very glad I took the risk! I got it in the mail yesterday and tried it last night (I work third shift). It got a heck of a test because in Cleveland right now, as you know, it's bloody hot and humid. Last night there was no breeze so the air was just thick and heavy and awful. No relief. I work in a place without air conditioning, and some of the buildings were 85-90 degrees. That, coupled with walking around outside, had me sweating like a horse. I was a gross mess. And then to add to that gloriousness, after getting off work in the morning I went to the barn to muck out my horse's stall. Throughout all of these festivities of filth, I would occasionally take a whiff of my underarm, fearing what I would find. But at the end of the night/morning, I didn't catch even the slightest foul odor from my underarms. Nothing. I am blown away. Consider me a convert. Thank you!!! Liz, Ohio