Warming Sore Muscle
A penetrating organic salve with pain-easing arnica, healing St. John’s wort and warming cayenne pepper. Cayenne pepper contains capsaicin, a natural anti-inflammatory that blocks a neurotransmitter that transmits pain signals from the nerves to the central nervous system.
This warming salve quickly melts into your skin and can help temporarily relieve pain from sore muscles, stiff joints, arthritis, muscle spasms, menstrual cramps, and even mild nerve pain.
Soothing oils soften skin while the synergistic blend of herbs and essential oils gently warms and stimulates circulation, to help relieve muscle tension and stiff joints.
The essential oil blend provides a refreshing and revitalizing scent.
- Cayenne Excites heat sensors in the skin to provide a warm feeling to the skin and underlying tissue layers
- Stimulates circulation
- Use before exercising to warm and loosen muscles and joints
- Arnica is a well-known anti-inflammatory herb that helps soothe sore muscles, sprains, and bruises by improving the local blood supply and to speed up the healing process
- Topical St John's wort has anti-inflammatory properties and helps relieve muscle pain and mild to moderate nerve pain
- When applied topically, the warming abilities of ginger essential oil help to improve circulation and relieve tension in tired muscles
- Spearmint essential oil contains menthol, a common compound that helps reduce pain, relax the muscles and increase circulation to the affected area
- Eucalyptus essential oil helps to reduce inflammation and ease joint and muscle pain
- For a cooling salve that helps relieve muscle & joint pain, congestion and fatigue try our Cool Menthol Salve
Although this salve is safe for most folks with sensitive skin, to be safe always do a patch test to see how your skin reacts.
A salve means simple, effective, natural healing. Organic herbal salves rely on the medicinal properties of nature, not synthetic chemicals. How did we heal and soothe our skin before synthetic products?
We looked to nature!
Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil is infused with Organic Botanicals: Arnica, Devil's Claw, Cayenne, St. John's Wort, and Chamomile
How to Use
Capsaicin provides only temporary relief, so it must be applied a few times a day.
- Use to soothe the everyday aches and pains
- Massage directly onto the skin focusing on sore joints and muscles
- Apply enough to cover the painful area, and rub it into your skin until it disappears
- Wash your hands immediately to avoid accidentally getting it into your eyes, nose, or mouth
- I have used it to help arthritic hands--apply before bed and cover with a pair of thin pair of cotton gloves
- Although it is safe for most folks with sensitive skin, to be safe always do a patch test to see how your skin reacts
- For the patch test--Capsaicin increases blood flow to the local area and may cause redness, so a slight reddening of the skin is okay as long as it is not accompanied by a rash-like irritation.
- The salve should feel pleasant and gently warming--it should NOT burn
- If it feels like a burn--do not use the salve
- Please note:
- Salve contains Cayenne, do NOT use on broken or irritated skin--it will sting
- After applying, be sure to wash your hands thoroughly
- Avoid contact with eyes, nose, mouth, mucous membranes, and other sensitive areas
- This salve is intended for adults or older teens, not young children
- Capsaicin can make your skin more sensitive to the sun and heat--Do not use a heating pad on the area you are treating
- It may be a week or so before you feel the full effect
While a product with capsaicin may temporarily help relieve some painful conditions, it is not a cure and it may work for some people and not others. Use consistently for the most noticeable results.
Stop using the salve if the skin becomes irritated, red, swollen, or itchy. Also, be aware that these side effects can be aggravated by hot, humid weather, or sweating.
Always consult your medical professional if you have any questions, concerns or if your condition worsens.
We handcraft our Herbal Salves in small batches using organic oils, organic botanicals, and organic essential oils to ensure the highest quality and freshness. As a result, our organic salves have a natural shelf life. There are steps you can take to preserve the freshness of your salve.
- To prevent contamination use clean hands for application, avoid introducing moisture to the salve, and always keep the lid closed between uses.
- To ensure the best efficacy, our salves should be used within 6 months after opening.
- Always keep the salve in a temperature-stable environment.
What Are Pure Essential Oils?
Have you ever enjoyed the scent of a fragrant flower or herb? The fragrance comes from potent, aromatic compounds called essential oils.
These natural compounds are found in the flowers, stems, seeds, bark, roots, fruits, and other parts of plants. It often requires several pounds of a plant to produce a single bottle of essential oil.
Essential oils not only give plants their unique scents but also help lure plant pollinators and protect plants from insects and other predators.
The chemical composition of essential oils may provide valuable psychological and physical aromatherapeutic benefits for some people.
It is important to note that to be a true essential oil, the oil must be isolated from the plant material by physical means only.
Essential oils are NEVER extracted using solvents.
Although synthetic fragrances or "nature identical" oils are available at a much lower cost, only natural plant essential oils will provide the botanical benefits.
Be careful that the essential oil-containing products you purchase for topical use are mixed with the correct medium.
Essential oils are soluble (dissolve) in alcohol and carrier oils. However, they are insoluble (do not dissolve) in water or water-based liquids like hydrosols, milk, aloe, or even witch hazel (which contains a small amount of alcohol).
When mixed with a water-based ingredient the molecules of the essential oil will float in tiny droplets on the surface (think of oil droplets on the surface of water). Those droplets can behave like undiluted essential oils on your skin and cause irritation.
What Are Essential Oils? (Much more detail)
Go to our Blog Pages and click "Essential Oils" in the category section on the left to read a lot more information on essential oils.
If you are pregnant or under a doctor's care for any medical condition, please consult your healthcare provider before using essential oils.
Pregnancy & Children: We do not provide information on the safety of essential oils during Pregnancy or for use in Children because the available information is very ambiguous and often contradictory. If you’re interested in using essential oils during pregnancy or with young children please do your own research and consult your doctor, midwife, or health care professional before use.
The answer is, YES!
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
The most important consideration in any business is its customers. Today's world of misleading claims, false advertising, and simple deception, often leaves consumers trying to discover the truth about personal products and their ingredients.
- We want our customers to know that we are committed to transparency in everything we do.
- We want our customers to know that when we say "organic," we mean it.
- We believe that in becoming a USDA Certified Organic company, our customers do not have to wonder if we really use certified organic ingredients or if our organic products are truly organic.
- So we choose to be a certified organic company and abide by the strict standards required for organic certification.
All of Chagrin Valley's natural soap, shampoo bars, and personal care products are certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny.
The Leaping Bunny Program was developed in 1996, by The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC), to identify and support companies that are doing their part to help eliminate the unnecessary use and mistreatment of animals to test cosmetic products and ingredients. The CCIC is made up of eight animal protection groups including the Humane Society of the U.S., as well as groups from Canada and Europe.
At Chagrin Valley we obviously do not test our finished products on animals (other than human volunteers), but what about the raw materials, the ingredients we use? Many products display labels claiming that their finished product is ‘not tested on animals’ but this does not guarantee that the product ingredients are actually free from animal testing.
The CCIC Standard is a pledge that a company makes to remove animal testing from all stages of product development. Our pledge to buy ingredients that are cruelty-free is integrated into the purchase order contract for all of our suppliers.
Personal care products displaying the “real” Leaping Bunny logo are certified ‘cruelty-free' using the internationally recognized Humane Cosmetics Standards. These rigorous standards require that no animal testing is performed or authorized for finished products or ingredients in any stage of product development by the company, its laboratories or its suppliers after a fixed cut-off date. All Leaping Bunny companies are subject to independent audits and pledge commitments are renewed on an annual basis.
At Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve . . .
- we do NOT test our products on animals
- we do NOT use ingredients tested on animals
- we do NOT sell into markets that require animal testing
The Leaping Bunny Program provides
the best assurance to consumers
that they are making compassionate shopping choices
by purchasing Cruelty-Free skin care!
NO! Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve
does not use raw materials that contain
Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs).
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
We are required to submit documentation that ALL of our ingredients, even our "non-organic ingredients," were produced without the use GMOs.
Since the U.S. National Organics Program forbids the use of genetic modification in products to be certified as organic, purchasing organic is a great way to lower your exposure to GMO’s.
Genetically Modified Organisms refers to any animal, plant or microorganism that has been changed in a lab at the gene level. It is also known as “genetic engineering."
Greetings chagrin valley family, I'm writing you to say that I'm really glad to find you, as you know i have ordered collection of products for my entire family in my previous order, shampoo bars , soaps, face oils, salves and whipped butters, i want you to know that every single person in my family is already happy with the product, my main search was about natural shampoo bars , but it turned out to be in need of EVERYTHING!
My dad who suffers from his knees and in constant pain tried your cold menthol and warming muscle salves , although i wasnt sure if this was going to be enough to help in his case , as he has ( not sure if thats the exact name ) knee osteoarthritis or that is called roughness in the knees, he either need surgery to fix that or get those injection fillers every 6 months to reduce friction but, he gets some infection there every now and then that cause the knee to swell , after using your salves he say he can clearly feel that it did work on his pain , he is carrying those little tins with him whereever he goes! Im so glad that he is using something that is organic and yet does the job! Thank you so much for everything. Hadeel, Kuwait
I have to share my story about your cayenne pepper muscle salve. I have a nerve problem in my hand that causes my thumb and the side of my hand to be numb and tingle. When it gets cold it hurts so bad and there is nothing that relieves it unless I put heat on it and it is hard to take a heating pad everywhere you go. I tried your salve rubbing it on the side of my hand and thumb and OMG I have instant warm relief. I have been suffering for so long and now I just carry around a little tin. I can’t thank you enough. Donna, Illinois
A note from Ida: I had surgery for ulnar nerve entrapment and suffer from the same symptoms only on the little finger side of my hand. It is very cold in our soap shop in the winter and I have found great relief from this little salve. The relief lasts about an hour and then I reapply!
Hi Ida, Just drop you an email to say 'I am so glad that I have ordered the Sore Muscle Salve" which received yesterday. I sprained by right arm joint (about 2 - 3 months ago) and the pain is so bad that I had sleepless night due to no exercises while sleeping (frozen joint). After applying the salve, had less pain and longer night sleep. Have used Chinese Nutmeg oil, it didn't help! I am also a breast cancer patient so I try to use natural ingredients. I will keep you updated with continued application. God Bless. Daisy, Singapore