A natural shampoo made with essential oils and infused with organic nettle to help decrease dandruff, stimulate the scalp and promote fuller, more radiant hair.
A natural shampoo infused with organic nettle. Nettle, a remedy for oily hair, dandruff and hair shaft breakage, stimulates the scalp, improves circulation, and helps promote fuller, more radiant hair.
- Cedarwood, basil, and rosemary help control dandruff and minimize hair loss
- Rosemary helps stimulate hair follicles and add luster to dull hair and soothe the scalp
- Silica in horsetail helps to keep hair strong and adds shine and luster to dull hair
- Barley grass has antioxidant, antibacterial, anti-inflammatory and healing properties and has been used for centuries to help in the treatment of skin and scalp irritations
- Enriched with organic shea butter and hair care herbs for extra conditioning
- Good for all hair types
A sulfate free, silicone free, paraben free natural shampoo
Why use shampoo bars? They are natural, gentle, environmentally friendly, cost effective and convenient. Customers tell us that switching to shampoo bars helps increase volume and shine and reduce shedding, dandruff, and frizz.
Canola Oil infused with Nettle, Rosemary, Fenugreek, Horsetail, Green Tea, Parsley
Made with Organic Hemp Seed Oil, Shea Butter & Nettle
Certified Organic By OEFFA
A USDA Accredited Organic Certifying Agent
How to Use
Technique #1: Use The Bar Directly On Your Hair
- Begin with thoroughly wet hair.
- Gently rub wet the shampoo bar directly onto your hair from scalp to ends in a combing motion.
- Cover each section of your hair. Gently massage scalp and hair, adding more water as needed, until a good lather forms.
- To prevent tangles, be sure to always work from the top down, don't pile your hair on your head and use your fingers like a comb, not a mixer.
- With this method, it is very important that you really build up a good lather on your head so there are no patches of soap left on your hair.
- Rinse, rinse, rinse!
- Repeat if desired
Technique #2: Create The Lather in Your Hands
- Begin with thoroughly wet hair.
- Rub the wet shampoo bar between your wet hands to create a nice lather.
- Using your fingers like a comb, smooth the lather along your hair.
- Gently massage it into the scalp and hair, as you would with a bottled shampoo.
- Work up a good lather
- Rinse, rinse, rinse!
- Repeat if desired.
If you have long hair, please check out the FAQ on the left titled, "Ida's Shampoo Bar Technique for Long Hair."
Shampoo Bars Are One Of Our Favorite Discoveries!
The wholesome goodness of our handcrafted soap is available for your hair.
Shampoo bars are an all natural conditioning shampoo in a solid bar form. Yes, this is real shampoo in a solid bar. Shampoo bars are not a new idea.
They were commonly used before liquid detergent shampoos and conditions were invented in the 1940's.
Although the process for making a shampoo bar is the same as making soap, our shampoo bar "recipes" are specially formulated with natural plant oils, butters, botanicals and essential oils that nourish your hair and scalp.
Our shampoo bars contain no artificial fragrance, color, preservatives, detergents, alcohol, urea, formaldehyde, sodium lauryl sulfate, DEA, propylene glycol - or any of the other synthetic hair care additives.
Each of our shampoo bar selections contains a different blend of natural plant oils, essential oils, and herb infused oils. No two recipes are the same.
Which Shampoo Bar Is Best For My Hair?
Everything You Want To Know About Shampoo Bars!
Please read "Everything About Shampoo Bars!"
Conventional shampoos and conditioners, even some that claim to be natural, contain waxes, silicones or other additives that coat your hair to make it feel smooth.
Since our natural shampoo bars do not strip hair like detergent based shampoos, you may notice your hair feels different immediately after washing because your hair is accustomed to the squeaky clean feel of detergent based shampoo.
Switching from conventional shampoo to a natural shampoo bar often means a transition or adjustment period. While many folks have little problem with their hair adjusting to a new routine, some do.
Since everyone's hair is unique it is difficult to tell you exactly what your transition, if any, will look and feel like. Your hair may feel greasier than normal or it may even feel drier than normal. It may feel waxy, coated or just weird.
This transition period, which can range from a few days to a few weeks or even a month, is literally a time for your hair, which has been addicted to chemical-laden shampoos, to go through withdrawal, and learn to live a chemical-free life. It's not easy!
It may take some patience, but if you can persevere, your reward will be healthy, soft and silky hair.
We have been making shampoo bars for over 14 years and have received so many questions. Below are links to pages that may help answer your adjustment questions.
For more detailed information and great transition tips please read our blog "Tips Adjusting To Shampoo Bars."
Whether or not you need to use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse depends on a number of factors.
- Your water: If your hair does not seem to be adjusting to the shampoo bars, it may be due to your water. Hard water makes it more difficult to rinse natural shampoo from your hair.
- Hair length: Many of our male customers and women with short hair have found that they do not need to rinse with vinegar, simply because their hair is short.
- Tangles: ACV rinses often help with tangles.
- Residue: If your hair has residue from previous products or you regularly use conditioners, styling gels etc., our shampoo bars are mild and may not remove residue from your hair like detergent shampoos. ACV rinses help remove build-up and product residue.
- Hair type: Everyone's hair is unique.
I wish I could use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse very day. Besides creating tangle-free locks, I also love the way it makes my hair look and feel. As I have gotten older my hair has become drier and I can only use an ACV rinse 2 or 3 times week.
Ida's Shampooing Technique for Long Hair
Men and women with short hair seldom have hair adjustment problems. Folks with long hair have to tinker a bit with technique and bar type. I have found that often times the technique can make all the difference.
You have to experiment with your unique hair type. I have long, fine hair. Below is my technique for using a shampoo bar. I...
- thoroughly wet my hair
- tie my long hair into a loose ponytail
- wet the shampoo bar and rub the bar across the top of my head in strokes from front to back until I have covered the entire scalp area. (I have found that if I rub any shampoo vigorously in all directions, my fine long hair gets very tangled)
- massage my entire scalp in a combing motion to work the lather through my hair. I do not rub the bar or work the lather on the length of my hair.
- take out my ponytail and rinse allowing the shampoo to drip down the length of my hair. (I have found that this rinsing is enough to clean the length of my hair.)
- rinse for at LEAST one minute as I rub my fingers through my hair to be sure that all of the shampoo is rinsed away
- squeeze gently on the length to remove excess water and cover with a towel while I dry off the rest of me. I do not rub the towel over my wet hair because it causes nasty tangles.
- use a wide toothed comb and gently comb from the bottom up
Dry and style your hair as usual!
The Short Answer
Yes And No!
Although handmade soaps usually get better with age, we recommend using our unscented soaps within 12 months of purchase, and our scented soaps within 6-10 months for best results.
Although the soaps will not be "spoiled" after that time, you may notice some changes as natural soap ages.
- some natural colors may fade over time
- the scents from pure natural essential oil scents will fade over time
The changes in color and scent happen even more quickly in our sample size bars.
These bars have a much greater surface area to volume ratio which allows essential oils to evaporate from the surface more quickly. However, the scent may still be there when you lather up.
I have found some ancient bars hiding in my closet that years old. The scents were gone, but the lather was incredible!
The Long Answer
For a more detailed discussion please read our blog, "The Shelf Life, Color & Scent of an All Natural Soap."
How You Can Help Prolong Shelf-Life
- Natural soaps need to breathe. Exposure to air promotes hardening of your soap and contributes to longer-lasting quality. Soap should be left unwrapped in their boxes or wrapped with breathable materials. Tight wrappers cause humid conditions by preventing evaporation of moisture.
- Our soaps are packaged in breathable, recyclable, sustainable packaging! Keep your natural handmade soaps in a dry, cool place away from sunlight, excessive heat and humidity.
- Our scented soaps, like Lavender Rosemary, can be placed in a muslin bag or wrapped in a piece of cloth and put in your linen closet or dresser drawer to give a delightful fragrance to your linens and clothes while waiting to be used.
I noticed I was shedding a lot of hair and then I found your nettle shampoo. I started using it and immediately I noticed a difference. It started noticing less hair falling out and now it seems to be like it makes my hair strands thicker and fuller, so it looks and feels like I have a LOADS of hair! I just bought a bar for my husband, maybe it will help with his thinning hairline. Thank you for giving a full head of happy hair again. Bonnie, Mississippi
OMG I am writing about the Nettle Poo and I don't even know how to thank you for this incredible shampoo bar. I have been buying lots of other Chagrin valley stuff for a while but the idea of a shampoo soap was not the least bit appealing. My hair was so bad--breakage, shedding, frizzy--you name it. It looked like I had an old mop on my head. I decided to try your shampoo bars figuring that if anyone could make a good one it would be you guys. The nettle is by far my favorite but I like the Summer one and the Coconut Milk too. I have body, like real body. I look in the mirror and wonder whos hair is on my head. People who know me keep asking when I started getting my hair styled and I laugh and tell them my secret is Chagrin Valley. I have thrown away all my hair products and you know that you are saving me a lot of money! Thank you again and bless you all. Samantha, Illinois
Hi my name is Heather and I ordered over a month ago. I wanted to personally thank you for your company. My hair was "unmanageable" up until a year ago when I switched to safer products. THEN when I tried a shampoo bar from a different company, it was good but I knew you guys would be better. I ordered a few samples and was so thankful to see an extra complimentary one!! I will be ordering a few more samples soon but definitely loved a lot of the ones I ordered. Nettle, cafe moreno, & lavender and spice are my favorites!
RESULTS: My hair is THICKER (I've complained about thin hair for years and actually on my wedding day my friend said your hair is thin no more! that was AWESOME) I have wavy-curly hair and my curls are MUCH more defined and on top of all of that the color in my hair is vibrant again. I just started a month ago. I am so excited about your company and I look forward to purchasing more! Thank you! Heather, New Jersey