Which Do I Choose? ..... Sea Buckthorn Salve vs Tamanu Salve vs Tamanu Healing Herbs Oil
As you research different healing oils or salves you will notice that although some target very specific problems, many have similar properties.
If the descriptions for Sea Buckthorn Salve, Tamanu Salve, and the Tamanu Sea Buckthorn Healing Oil seem very similar, that's because they all contain really great natural, but very different, bioactive ingredients that heal.
SEA BUCKTHORN OIL: Sea Buckthorn oil contains approximately 190 bioactive substances. It has a beneficial effect on skin because it is a strong antioxidant and is rich in Omega fatty acids, beta-carotenes and vitamin E.
The moisturizing oil easily penetrates deeply into the skin and has anti-inflammatory and anti-microbiological activity that helps promote healing and reduce scarring. It also may help kill the Demodex mites that can cause rosacea.
TAMANU OIL: Tamanu oil has been used in traditional medicine for ages, specifically for its ability to speed the healing of wounds by fighting bacteria and increasing cellular regeneration.
It also has anti-inflammatory, antimicrobial, antibiotic, and antioxidant properties. What really sets tamanu oil apart from other oils is its unique chemical composition. It contains a unique fatty acid called Calophyllic acid, a natural antibiotic called Lactone, and a natural non-steroid anti-inflammatory agent called Calophyllolide.
Although salves are semi-solid at room temperature, they soften quickly once applied to the skin, making them very portable and less messy than oils.
To help you choose between the two salves, here are a few suggestions based on our experience and customer feedback.
- Sea Buckthorn Salve
- Fading old scars
- Minor burns
- Tamanu Salve
- Wound healing
- Healing new scars
- Fading stretch marks
- Soothing and healing itchy, irritated skin
- Minor burns
- Tamanu oil helps soothe and heal surgical scars. If using for fresh surgical scars please check with your healthcare provider.
So, what about the Tamanu Sea Buckthorn Healing Herbs Oil?
The oils plus the infused botanicals are highly emollient, chocked full of antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory and regenerative properties that make it great for any kind of tissue in need of repair.
Some differences between healing salves and healing oil:
- Absorption Time
- Since herbal salves are made up of oils and beeswax, they will often sit on top of the skin and take a bit longer to penetrate the layers of the skin
- Sometimes you want penetration to take longer and last longer, like with a simple scrape--so use a salve
- Sometimes you may want faster relief, like when you have a burn--so use an oil
- Continued Hydration
- When you do not cover a scar, cut, or scrape it dries out and scabs over. A scab is not always a good thing because, especially if it forms too quickly, it can act as a barrier to healing
- You want to keep a cut moist to help prevent a scab from forming
- While both the oil and salve will keep the area moisturized, a salve will provide a moisture barrier that lasts longer than an oil
- If you choose to use only an oil, then use it more often to dab the area to keep it supple until new skin begins to grow
This product may be new to Chagrin Valley’s product line, but it is not new to me.
I formulated the recipe for our Tamanu Sea Buckthorn Healing Herbs Oils about five years ago. I wanted to create a concentrated oil using my two favorite healing oils that I could use in conjunction with our salves for healing surgical scars, burns, skin rashes and other irritations.
I tend to use both the healing oil and the salve. Sometimes I use the salves for the first few days or a week (depending on the problem) and then switch to the oil. For some surgical scars, I used both the oil and a salve every day for weeks.
**This information is not meant to replace proper medical treatment. As always use good judgment. If a wound or burn is large or there is any concern about infection or the rate of healing please consult your healthcare professional. Infected wounds can lead to very serious systemic conditions.