Coconut Cream Woodland Breeze
Our organic Woodland Breeze™ coconut silk cream deodorant is a soft solid that readily absorbs into your skin. Stay fresh naturally with a warm, refreshing scent loved by men and women too!
- Moisturizing virgin coconut oil has natural antibacterial properties that naturally and effectively help neutralize underarm odor
- Silky organic arrowroot powder soothes skin and absorbs perspiration
- Baking soda raises the pH making the underarm less friendly to odor causing bacteria
- The ingredients in this recipe, like coconut oil and shea butter, will melt easily with body temperature
- Essential oil blend has a warm scent with earthy and light citrus notes and has antibacterial properties to help prevent odor
For those who would like an applicator for our cream deodorants, try the back side of our oval bamboo spatula.
Our natural deodorants combat odor and wetness without harmful chemicals. Some of the students at Chagrin Yoga, in Chagrin Falls, Ohio, are fans of our products, especially our organic deodorants. Thank you to the students and studio for allowing us to film one of their classes as part of our video. Namaste!
How to Use
Directions: Our cream deodorant is best applied after showering or bathing.
- Use daily in place of your old deodorant
- Using clean fingers, or an applicator, scoop out a small amount (size of a dime)
- Gently apply it to your clean, dry underarm
- Rub gently until smooth and spread it around as it melts on your warm skin
For those who would like an applicator for our cream deodorants, try the back side of our oval bamboo spatula.
Did you ever notice that so many people are ticklish under their arm? Your underarms are one of the most sensitive parts of your body.
Why Are Underarms More Sensitive?
- Underarm skin is a bit thinner than the skin on other parts of your body
- Underarm skin is not exposed to outside elements or get a lot of use which makes skin tougher
- Underarms usually get very little sunlight
- Underarms are home to lots nerves and lymph nodes
You may notice that you can feel a simple touch more than you can on other areas of the body. When you add up all of these factors you can see why underarm skin is not only more sensitive, but also more prone to irritation.
- Keep your underarms clean
- Shaving can really irritate sensitive skin
- Be sure to moisturize after shaving
- Shave at night before bedtime to allow the skin heal a bit overnight
- Underarm pores can get clogged, so it is a good idea to gently exfoliate the area periodically
- Since this area is so sensitive, use the gentler products made to exfoliate your face rather than your body
- Do not use scratchy accessories, like loofahs, when washing which may irritate sensitive skin
- Use a natural, moisturizing deodorant
The answer is, YES!
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
The most important consideration in any business is its customers. Today's world of misleading claims, false advertising, and simple deception, often leaves consumers trying to discover the truth about personal products and their ingredients.
- We want our customers to know that we are committed to transparency in everything we do.
- We want our customers to know that when we say "organic," we mean it.
- We believe that in becoming a USDA Certified Organic company, our customers do not have to wonder if we really use certified organic ingredients or if our organic products are truly organic.
- So we choose to be a certified organic company and abide by the strict standards required for organic certification.
The whitish beads are concentrated beads of nourishing plant butters which solidify into little butter bits as they cool.
Natural unrefined and unprocessed butters, like our Virgin Shea and Cocoa, will occasionally separate in some products with changes in temperature.
Although we see the little beads most often in the Summer months, changes in temperature as the products make their journey can happen any time of year. The concentrated beads of butter will melt as you massage the product into your skin.
Our goal is to create the best natural, wholesome, nourishing skincare possible, so we formulate our products without synthetic stabilizers, emulsifiers, or waxes. Most companies do not use unrefined or virgin botanical butters because they are so difficult to work with, but we know that unrefined butters are much more nourishing!
For more information read our "Shea Butter Tutorial."
We do not use synthetic stabilizers or waxes, so our delicate natural products packaged in glass jars and metal tins are sensitive to temperature changes.
While shipping during warm weather seasons presents a real challenge to our natural skin care company, we accept the challenge in order to maintain our standard of natural and nourishing skin care. We hope you agree.
During warm weather, products may soften or even melt as they sit in warm mail trucks, mailboxes, or on front porches.
The quality and healing properties of our products are not affected by melting.
On sunny or warm days, BEFORE opening the jars or tins, place the items in your refrigerator for a few hours to allow them to harden, just in case they have melted in transit. If you open items, especially those in tins, to check if melting has occurred, they may spill and make a mess!
What is most important is that neither the healing properties of the product nor the usability will be affected by the melting.
What Are Essential Oils?
Have you ever enjoyed the scent of a fragrant flower or herb? The fragrance comes from potent, aromatic compounds called essential oils.
These natural compounds are found in the flowers, stems, seeds, bark, roots, fruits and other parts of plants.
Essential oils not only give plants their unique scents, they also help lure plant pollinators and protect plants from insects and other predators.
The chemical composition of essential oils can provide valuable psychological and physical aromatherapeutic benefits.
It is important to note that to be a true essential oil, the oil must be isolated from the plant material by physical means only. Essential oils are NEVER extracted using solvents.
Although synthetic fragrances or "nature identical" oils are available at a much lower cost, only natural plant essential oils to will provide the botanical benefits.
If you are pregnant or under a doctor's care for any medical condition, please consult your healthcare provider before using essential oils.
What Are Essential Oils? (Much more detail)
Go to our Blog Pages and click "Essential Oils" in the category section on the left to read a lot more information on essential oils.
We hand blend all of our own products in small batches to ensure freshness, consistency, and perfection.
Our products are not made to sit on store shelves for years and years.
Although there are natural preservatives within the chemical structure of natural ingredients, they are nowhere near as potent as the synthetic preservatives used in commercial products to prolong shelf-life.
Other than soap, our products are remade every few weeks and none are very old when they are sold. Our products, other than soap, should be opened within 6 months of purchase.
Since we use no preservatives or chemical stabilizers, the more important question is, "how long will the product last once it has been opened?
Once opened, skin care products become exposed to dirt and microorganisms (bacteria, yeasts, and molds) that are found in the air and on the skin.
As soon as you open and begin to use any product, simply the way in which you use it will affect its lifespan.
So, we are beginning to use the PAO (period-after-opening) symbol. These symbols are already available on the product pages of our website and we are in the process of adding them to all of our labels.
The POA symbol is a standard symbol that identifies the useful lifetime of a skin care product after it has been opened for the first time.
As you can see from the picture on the left, the symbol is an open jar with a written number and the letter "M" for the word "months."
A product with a "6M" would mean that it is good for 6 months after opening.
Tip: write the date you open a product for the first time on its label so you can keep track of the period after opening.
This POA number represents our best suggestion. There are many factors that can affect the lifespan of a product. If a product is discolored, has an unpleasant smell or looks odd, the product should not be used and should be discarded.
- Each time you place your warm fingers into a tin or jar, you melt some of the butter which can change the consistency of the product.
- Fingers also introduce bacteria and other contaminants into the product.
- If a product has not been stored properly, for example, if the lid has been left off for long periods of time, the product may ‘go off’ before the period after opening has passed.
- As scented products age, some of the natural essential oil scent may be lost. Pure essential oils just do not have the staying power of synthetic fragrance oils.
- Over time, natural colors may also fade.
If you’re like me, and you find an old dusty product hiding in a drawer, makeup bag, or even a suitcase from your last trip, you can call us with the lot number and we can verify its age. Obviously, if it seems off in any way, toss it!
Please note: This PAO symbol is widely used in Europe to recommend the length of time a product remains usable after opening, for products that have a shelf-life of at least 30 months. Our products do NOT have a shelf-life of 30 months before opening.
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny.
The Leaping Bunny Program was developed in 1996, by The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC), to identify and support companies that are doing their part to help eliminate the unnecessary use and mistreatment of animals to test cosmetic products and ingredients. The CCIC is made up of eight animal protection groups including the Humane Society of the U.S., as well as groups from Canada and Europe.
At Chagrin Valley we obviously do not test our finished products on animals (other than human volunteers), but what about the raw materials, the ingredients we use? Many products display labels claiming that their finished product is ‘not tested on animals’ but this does not guarantee that the product ingredients are actually free from animal testing.
The CCIC Standard is a pledge that a company makes to remove animal testing from all stages of product development. Our pledge to buy ingredients that are cruelty-free is integrated into the purchase order contract for all of our suppliers.
Personal care products displaying the “real” Leaping Bunny logo are certified ‘cruelty-free' using the internationally recognized Humane Cosmetics Standards. These rigorous standards require that no animal testing is performed or authorized for finished products or ingredients in any stage of product development by the company, its laboratories or its suppliers after a fixed cut-off date. All Leaping Bunny companies are subject to independent audits and pledge commitments are renewed on an annual basis.
At Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve . . .
- we do NOT test our products on animals
- we do NOT use ingredients tested on animals
- we do NOT sell into markets that require animal testing
The Leaping Bunny Program provides
the best assurance to consumers
that they are making compassionate shopping choices
by purchasing Cruelty-Free skin care!
I have to tell you that I never write letters to companies. I am not one of those have to buy natural people. Soap is soap and cream is cream and all that natural stuff to me was just a hype. But I have a problem with deodorant. The one’s that work give me terrible rashes. The ones that don’t give me rashes don’t work. A friend has been using your stuff for a long time. (I was actually getting tired of her talking about Chagrin Valley) She bought me a tin of your woodland deodorant. It has been a month and it works and no rashes. I really hated to admit it. It goes on so smooth with no sticky feeling and I feel fresh all day (I just can’t believe I just said that it sounds like a commercial). Using your deodorant has made me wonder what else I have been missing so I will be placing an order for some other stuff. I have a feeling that this doubting Thomas will become a convert. We’ll see. I just wanted to say thanks. Sandra, Florida