Do You Know What’s in Your Lip Balm?
Can you read all of the ingredients aloud without looking for a dictionary? If not, it might be time for you to find a natural alternative for your lip care.
Despite the promises of miracle lip repair, many lip balms can actually damage thin lip skin and make dry lips even drier.
The skin on your lips is extra sensitive and they put up with a lot of wear and tear through eating, drinking, breathing, talking, kissing, etc.
While it's normal for lips to get chapped, lips require special attention to prevent cracks and inflammation that can lead to infections and painful sores.
Look for natural moisturizing lip balms, that will penetrate and heal the skin—not simply coat the skin’s surface.
The moisturizing oils and butters in our creamy, all-natural lip balms penetrate deep into the skin cells. Each recipe is made using natural ingredients recognized for their soothing, moisturizing and healing qualities, not simply coat the surface.
So, the next time you are looking for a lip balm, we have some ingredients you should look for—and a few to avoid.
Chagrin Valley lip butter balms keep your lips soft and moist.
Ingredients To Look For
- Beeswax helps provide a natural barrier to retain moisture
- Natural oils and butters soften, moisturize and protect lips
Ingredients To Avoid
- Artificial fragrances & colors may cause lip irritation
- Alcohol may cause dryness
- Camphor may cause dryness and irritation
- Petrolatum (petroleum jelly) is petroleum-based and comes from crude oil. It actually suffocates the skin by preventing oxygen absorption
- Parabens and other synthetic preservatives have been shown to cause hormone disruption in animals
Insider Tip: Apply Lip Balm At Night Before Going To Bed
At night many people sleep with their mouths open, causing their lips to dry out. We’ve found that if you apply lip balm before going to sleep you’ll wake up with softer, moisturized lips. Give it a try—especially in the winter.
Which Natural Lip Balm Is Right For You?
Here are some common conditions we’re asked about, along with products that may be a good place for you to start.
But remember—just because a product is listed for a specific condition doesn’t mean it won’t work for you. Take note of how your skin responds to the different ingredients to find out what is best for your unique skin type. Or, learn more about what our customers say about our products on our testimonials page.
Sun Damaged or Dry Lips?
- Avocado Cream Lavender Lip Balm (Also a great stress reliever--place a dab under your nose)
- Aloe Butter Natural Lip Balm
- Creamy Shea Lip Balm
Minor Inflammation and Sores
Badly Chapped Lips
- Healing Herbs Lib Balm
- Honey Butter Lip Balm
- Aloe Butter Lip Balm
- Aloe Butter Doublemint Lip Balm (Also helps with minor congestion--place a dab under your nose)
Worried About Cold Sores?
- Choose products with tea tree essential oils and lemongrass—studies have shown these may be helpful in treating cold sores.
- Hempseed Lemongrass Lip Balm
What’s Your Favorite Natural Lip Balm?
What Tips Do You Have That Help Keep Lips From Drying Out?
Let Us Know In The Comments Below.