I love the outdoors! But warm weather brings pesky biting bugs! This natural bug repellent bundle includes three great organic products that will help keep bugs from biting! Naturally! The bundle includes . . .
- Don't Bug Me! Body Spray (2 oz. Spray Bottle -- Non-Oily Recipe )
- Don't Bug Me! Lotion Bar
- Camping & Trail Soap (Learn why this is a great outdoors soap)
- Reusable Muslin Bag
- A great gift for anyone who loves the outdoors!
- 10% less than buying items separately!
Plants have been protecting themselves from insects since the beginning of time. So why not harness the power of plants? That’s just what we did at Chagrin Valley. We created a line of safe and effective “Don’t Bug Me!” products to help repel insects—Naturally!
How to Use
For Best Results:
- Apply to the skin as often as required paying special attention to places that bugs like to bite you
- Apply to the pulse points on your body. These areas, which have more body heat due to the warmth of your blood, are the best spots to apply a scent that you want to last a bit longer. Pulse points are located behind your ear, at the bottom of your throat, on your wrist, inside your elbow, and behind your knee
- Lotion Bar: If wearing short pants or shirts add few good swipes up and down the arms and legs
- Spray: If wearing short pants or shirts, lightly spray onto exposed skin, avoiding eyes and mucous membranes
- Most effective if applied about 5 minutes before venturing outside
- If you are pregnant, please discuss the use of any product with your health care provider
- For small children or those with sensitive skin it is recommended that you do a patch test before using and if you have any questions, check with your health care provider
- Please have adults do the applying and do not apply to children's hands
- Avoid contact with eyes--in case of eye contact, wash eyes with plenty of water
- The Natural Bug Oil Spray is an oil based product and not meant to be sprayed on clothing.
Obviously, the whole idea behind the ingredients in an insect repellent is to make folks as unappealing to bugs as possible. There are natural alternatives to chemical-laden insect repellents.
Plants have been repelling insects and bugs to protect themselves since the beginning of time.
So why not harness the power of plants?
That’s just what we did at Chagrin Valley. We created a line of safe and effective “Don’t Bug Me!” products that would help repel insects—Naturally!
There is clinical research showing that you can minimize bug bites with the natural repellents present in plant essential oils.
The oil of lemon eucalyptus appears to be the most effective. Studies have shown that products containing lemon eucalyptus were more effective than products with lower concentrations of DEET. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) even recommends lemon eucalyptus oil as an alternative to DEET.
Since all plants produce their own natural pesticides as a chemical defense, our natural, organic insect repellents work because the active ingredients are those plant essential oils known to contain high levels of natural bug deterrents.
Our special blend of essential oils in our natural bug repellents includes Lemon Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Citronella, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemongrass, Basil, and Thyme.
Although the EPA has evaluated the biochemical active ingredients in natural products, like Chagrin Valley’s natural organic bug repellents, for safety, products made from these ingredients have not been evaluated for effectiveness.
If you live, hike or camp in areas that do not have a high risk for bug-borne diseases, natural repellents can offer good protection.
If you are venturing into areas that are heavily infested with mosquitoes and ticks that carry disease, like Malaria or the Zika virus, DEET is still recommended as the most effective.
For more information please read our blog, "Natural Insect Repellents: The Power Of Plants."
What Are Pure Essential Oils?
Have you ever enjoyed the scent of a fragrant flower or herb? The fragrance comes from potent, aromatic compounds called essential oils.
These natural compounds are found in the flowers, stems, seeds, bark, roots, fruits, and other parts of plants. It often requires several pounds of a plant to produce a single bottle of essential oil.
Essential oils not only give plants their unique scents but also help lure plant pollinators and protect plants from insects and other predators.
The chemical composition of essential oils may provide valuable psychological and physical aromatherapeutic benefits for some people.
It is important to note that to be a true essential oil, the oil must be isolated from the plant material by physical means only.
Essential oils are NEVER extracted using solvents.
Although synthetic fragrances or "nature identical" oils are available at a much lower cost, only natural plant essential oils will provide the botanical benefits.
Be careful that the essential oil-containing products you purchase for topical use are mixed with the correct medium.
Essential oils are soluble (dissolve) in alcohol and carrier oils. However, they are insoluble (do not dissolve) in water or water-based liquids like hydrosols, milk, aloe, or even witch hazel (which contains a small amount of alcohol).
When mixed with a water-based ingredient the molecules of the essential oil will float in tiny droplets on the surface (think of oil droplets on the surface of water). Those droplets can behave like undiluted essential oils on your skin and cause irritation.
What Are Essential Oils? (Much more detail)
Go to our Blog Pages and click "Essential Oils" in the category section on the left to read a lot more information on essential oils.
If you are pregnant or under a doctor's care for any medical condition, please consult your healthcare provider before using essential oils.
Pregnancy & Children: We do not provide information on the safety of essential oils during Pregnancy or for use in Children because the available information is very ambiguous and often contradictory. If you’re interested in using essential oils during pregnancy or with young children please do your own research and consult your doctor, midwife, or health care professional before use.
The answer is, YES!
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
The most important consideration in any business is its customers. Today's world of misleading claims, false advertising, and simple deception, often leaves consumers trying to discover the truth about personal products and their ingredients.
- We want our customers to know that we are committed to transparency in everything we do.
- We want our customers to know that when we say "organic," we mean it.
- We believe that in becoming a USDA Certified Organic company, our customers do not have to wonder if we really use certified organic ingredients or if our organic products are truly organic.
- So we choose to be a certified organic company and abide by the strict standards required for organic certification.
We hand blend all of our own products in small batches to ensure freshness, consistency, and perfection.
Our products are not made to sit on store shelves for years and years.
Although there are natural preservatives within the chemical structure of natural ingredients, they are nowhere near as potent as the synthetic preservatives used in commercial products to prolong shelf-life.
Other than soap, our products are remade every few weeks and none are very old when they are sold. Our products, other than soap, should be opened within 6 months of purchase.
Since we use no preservatives or chemical stabilizers, the more important question is, "how long will the product last once it has been opened?
Once opened, skin care products become exposed to dirt and microorganisms (bacteria, yeasts, and molds) that are found in the air and on the skin.
As soon as you open and begin to use any product, simply the way in which you use it will affect its lifespan.
So, we are beginning to use the PAO (period-after-opening) symbol. These symbols are already available on the product pages of our website and we are in the process of adding them to all of our labels.
The POA symbol is a standard symbol that identifies the useful lifetime of a skin care product after it has been opened for the first time.
As you can see from the picture on the left, the symbol is an open jar with a written number and the letter "M" for the word "months."
A product with a "6M" would mean that it is good for 6 months after opening.
Tip: write the date you open a product for the first time on its label so you can keep track of the period after opening.
This POA number represents our best suggestion. There are many factors that can affect the lifespan of a product. If a product is discolored, has an unpleasant smell or looks odd, the product should not be used and should be discarded.
- Each time you place your warm fingers into a tin or jar, you melt some of the butter which can change the consistency of the product.
- Fingers also introduce bacteria and other contaminants into the product.
- If a product has not been stored properly, for example, if the lid has been left off for long periods of time, the product may ‘go off’ before the period after opening has passed.
- As scented products age, some of the natural essential oil scent may be lost. Pure essential oils just do not have the staying power of synthetic fragrance oils.
- Over time, natural colors may also fade.
If you’re like me, and you find an old dusty product hiding in a drawer, makeup bag, or even a suitcase from your last trip, you can call us with the lot number and we can verify its age. Obviously, if it seems off in any way, toss it!
Please note: This PAO symbol is widely used in Europe to recommend the length of time a product remains usable after opening, for products that have a shelf-life of at least 30 months. Our products do NOT have a shelf-life of 30 months before opening.
Aren't all handmade natural soaps the same? . . .
The answer is NO!
Saying a soap is "handmade" says nothing about quality of the ingredients or the knowledge and skill of the soapmaker!
Chagrin Valley is not just another soap and skincare company. We are committed to healthy skin, healthy people and a healthy planet.
We are a USDA Certified Organic Company specializing in luxurious, organic, handmade natural soaps and shampoo bars rich in natural glycerin for healthier skin and hair.
It's all about the ingredients! Inspired by our love of nature, we use organic herbs, seeds, flowers, vegetables, fragrant spices, fruits, pure essential oils and purifying clays for their exceptional skincare benefits and to provide natural color, aromatherapy, texture, or gentle exfoliation. Nothing artificial, nothing synthetic, no GMO’s, just natural wholesome ingredients.
Chagrin Valley's Natural Soap & Shampoo Bars Are...
- all natural
- made with USDA Certified Organic ingredients
- handcrafted in small batches using the old-fashioned Cold Process Method
- made with sustainable and fair trade ingredients
- certified cruelty-free
- free of detergents
- free of synthetic fragrances
- free of synthetic colors
- free of artificial preservatives
- free of artificial foam boosters
- free of alcohol and petroleum products
- free of synthetic additives
- free of GMOs
- mild and nourishing
- rich in natural glycerin
- magnificent long-lasting lather
- cured for 8 to 10 weeks
Our soap making process uses only natural and organic ingredients. Why add artificial ingredients to a handmade product?