Neem & Tea Tree Body & Hair Shampoo
The ancient healing properties of Organic Neem and Tea Tree Oils, soothing organic botanicals and nourishing oils create this moisturizing all over natural body and hair shampoo.
Limit of 0 per order
The powerful duo of Neem and Tea Tree oils plus soothing organic botanicals create this invigorating and moisturizing all over body and hair shampoo.
The ancient healing properties of Neem and Tea Tree Oils, known for their antibacterial, antiviral, anti-inflammatory and skin healing properties, can be helpful for dandruff, psoriasis, and dermatitis.
- Tea tree helps heal infections and skin disorders and fights acne without causing dryness or other side effects of modern day acne treatments
- Tea Tree essential oil is a natural deodorant, refreshes, stimulates and deep cleans the skin and scalp
- Organic elder and calendula flowers help heal rashes and soothe dry, irritated skin and scalp
- The combination of neem and tea tree balances skin oil production and is very helpful for teenagers with oily skin or anyone prone to acne
- Soothes dry, irritated skin and scalp
A sulfate free, silicone free, paraben free natural body & hair shampoo
Not Sure? We can help you choose.
Sunflower Oil infused with Elder Flower, Calendula, Dandelion Leaf, Black Walnut Leaf, Comfrey Leaf
Made with organic Neem Oil, Jojoba Oil & Herbs
Certified Organic By OEFFA
A USDA Accredited Organic Certifying Agent
How to Use
Since this versatile Neem & Tea Tree bar works to help so many similar skin and scalp problems it has been specially formulated to be used as a therapeutic body and facial soap, and/or a hair shampoo.
As A Soap Bar
The purpose of soap is to combine with oil and dirt on the body. The method you use to cleanse your skin is really personal preference.
- rub the bar directly on your skin
- create lather in your clean hands and wash
- use a washcloth or textured washing accessory
As A Shampoo Bar
There are many ways to use a shampoo bar and what works for one person, may not work for another. You may want to try several methods to see which one works best for you.
- Technique #1: Use The Bar Directly On Your Hair
- Technique #2: Create The Lather in Your Hands
- Read the FAQs on the right for more information
If you have long hair, please check out the FAQ on the left titled, "Ida's Shampoo Bar Technique for Long Hair."
Regular handwashing is one of the best ways to remove germs, avoid getting sick, and prevent the spread of germs to others.
The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) says that for good hand hygiene all you need is plain soap and water.
Clean hands can stop germs from spreading from one person to another and throughout an entire community.
Five simple and effective steps can help reduce the spread of illness so you, your family, your friends and the general public can stay healthy.
Handwashing is a win for everyone . . . except for the germs!
CDC recommends cleaning hands in a specific way to avoid getting sick and spreading germs to others. The guidance for effective handwashing was developed based on data from a number of studies.
Wash often and follow these five steps every time you wash your hands!
1. Wet your hands with clean, warm running water and apply soap.
- When dealing with cold and flu viruses, as you wash your hands the soap molecule burrows its way into the fatty envelope of a virus and literally pulls the virus apart.
2. Lather your hands by rubbing them together with the soap.
- Soap and friction help lift dirt, grease, and microbes—including disease-causing germs—from the skin so they can be rinsed down the drain.
- Lather the backs of your hands, between your fingers, and under your nails.
3. Scrub your hands for at least 20 seconds.
- Lathering and scrubbing hands creates friction, which helps lift dirt, grease, and microbes from skin.
- The entire hand should be scrubbed. Microbes are present on all of the wrinkly surfaces of the hand, especially under the nails.
- How long are 20 seconds? About the amount of time it takes to hum the “Happy Birthday” song from beginning to end twice.
- The ideal length of time for handwashing can depend on other factors for example, if hands are very dirty or if you are caring for someone is ill.
- Evidence suggests that washing hands for about 15-30 seconds removes more germs from hands than washing for shorter periods.
4. Rinse your hands well under clean, running water.
- If you are using a public restroom use a paper towel to turn off the faucet after hands have been rinsed.
5. Dry your hands using a clean towel or air dry them.
To date, studies have shown that there is no added health benefit for consumers (this does not include professionals in the healthcare setting) using soaps containing antibacterial ingredients compared with using plain soap.
Information is taken from the CDC.gov website
Read our blog "Simple Soap Can Help Decrease the Spread Of Viruses"
Aren't all handmade soaps the same? . . .
The answer is NO!
Saying a soap is "handmade" says nothing about quality of the ingredients or the knowledge and skill of the soapmaker!
Chagrin Valley is not just another soap and skin care company. We are committed to healthy skin, healthy people and a healthy planet.
We are a USDA Certified Organic Company specializing in luxurious, organic, handmade soaps rich in natural glycerin for healthier skin.
It's all about the ingredients! Inspired by our love of nature, we use organic herbs, seeds, flowers, vegetables, fragrant spices, fruits, pure essential oils and purifying clays for their exceptional skin care benefits and to provide natural color, aromatherapy, texture, or gentle exfoliation. Nothing artificial, nothing synthetic, no GMO’s, just natural wholesome ingredients.
Chagrin Valley's Natural Soap & Shampoo Bars Are...
- all natural
- made with USDA Certified Organic ingredients
- handcrafted in small batches using the old-fashioned Cold Process Method
- made with sustainable and fair trade ingredients
- certified cruelty-free
- free of detergents
- free of synthetic fragrances
- free of synthetic colors
- free of artificial preservatives
- free of artificial foam boosters
- free of alcohol and petroleum products
- free of synthetic additives
- free of GMOs
- mild and nourishing
- rich in natural glycerin
- magnificent long-lasting lather
- cured for 8 to 10 weeks
Our soap making process uses only natural and organic ingredients. Why add artificial ingredients to a handmade product?
Ida's Shampooing Technique for Long Hair
Men and women with short hair seldom have hair adjustment problems. Folks with long hair have to tinker a bit with technique and bar type. I have found that often times the technique can make all the difference.
You have to experiment with your unique hair type. I have long, fine hair. Below is my technique for using a shampoo bar. I...
- thoroughly wet my hair
- tie my long hair into a loose ponytail
- wet the shampoo bar and rub the bar across the top of my head in strokes from front to back until I have covered the entire scalp area. (I have found that if I rub any shampoo vigorously in all directions, my fine long hair gets very tangled)
- massage my entire scalp in a combing motion to work the lather through my hair. I do not rub the bar or work the lather on the length of my hair.
- take out my ponytail and rinse allowing the shampoo to drip down the length of my hair. (I have found that this rinsing is enough to clean the length of my hair.)
- rinse for at LEAST one minute as I rub my fingers through my hair to be sure that all of the shampoo is rinsed away
- squeeze gently on the length to remove excess water and cover with a towel while I dry off the rest of me. I do not rub the towel over my wet hair because it causes nasty tangles.
- use a wide toothed comb and gently comb from the bottom up
Dry and style your hair as usual!
Conventional shampoos and conditioners, even some that claim to be natural, contain waxes, silicones or other additives that coat your hair to make it feel smooth.
Since our natural shampoo bars do not strip hair like detergent based shampoos, you may notice your hair feels different immediately after washing because your hair is accustomed to the squeaky clean feel of detergent based shampoo.
Switching from conventional shampoo to a natural shampoo bar often means a transition or adjustment period. While many folks have little problem with their hair adjusting to a new routine, some do.
Since everyone's hair is unique it is difficult to tell you exactly what your transition, if any, will look and feel like. Your hair may feel greasier than normal or it may even feel drier than normal. It may feel waxy, coated or just weird.
This transition period, which can range from a few days to a few weeks or even a month, is literally a time for your hair, which has been addicted to chemical-laden shampoos, to go through withdrawal, and learn to live a chemical-free life. It's not easy!
It may take some patience, but if you can persevere, your reward will be healthy, soft and silky hair.
We have been making shampoo bars for over 14 years and have received so many questions. Below are links to pages that may help answer your adjustment questions.
For more detailed information and great transition tips please read our blog "Tips Adjusting To Shampoo Bars."
Shampoo Bars Are One Of Our Favorite Discoveries!
The wholesome goodness of our handcrafted soap is available for your hair.
Shampoo bars are an all natural conditioning shampoo in a solid bar form. Yes, this is real shampoo in a solid bar. Shampoo bars are not a new idea.
They were commonly used before liquid detergent shampoos and conditions were invented in the 1940's.
Although the process for making a shampoo bar is the same as making soap, our shampoo bar "recipes" are specially formulated with natural plant oils, butters, botanicals and essential oils that nourish your hair and scalp.
Our shampoo bars contain no artificial fragrance, color, preservatives, detergents, alcohol, urea, formaldehyde, sodium lauryl sulfate, DEA, propylene glycol - or any of the other synthetic hair care additives.
Each of our shampoo bar selections contains a different blend of natural plant oils, essential oils, and herb infused oils. No two recipes are the same.
Which Shampoo Bar Is Best For My Hair?
Everything You Want To Know About Shampoo Bars!
Please read "Everything About Shampoo Bars!"
Although we get asked this question often, it is a very difficult one to answer.
Handmade soap and shampoo bars made using the cold process method are formulated with a fairly high percentage of water or a water-based liquid and at the end of the soap reaction, they still contain water. The curing process allows excess water to evaporate.
Our freshly cut full-size bars are soft and weigh approximately 6.4 to over 7.2 ounces. These bars will lose approximately 12% of their weight as most of the water evaporates during the 8 to 10-week curing time. Which means that an average fresh bar, at 6.8 ounces will weigh approximately 6.0 ounces after 8 to 10 weeks. However, moisture will continue to evaporate over time as the bar ages.
Since each of our soap/shampoo recipes is different and the percent of liquid used varies, the amount of water that evaporates over time and the bar size will also vary.
While some soap companies use the fresh-cut weight on their packaging, we use the average weight of our bars after the 8 to 10-week curing time. Also, some soapmakers use only a 4-week cure, but we know that our longer, slower curing time ensures a milder, harder, longer lasting bar, with a very rich lather.
Also, many soap companies shrink wrap their soap bars to help prevent continuous shrinkage due to evaporation. We have a few big problems with that idea. First of all, we know that we definitely do not need any more plastic added to our planet and so we choose to be as plastic-free as possible. Secondly, although there will continue to be a small weight (and scent) loss over time, we prefer that over sacrificing the quality of our soap.
The average weight of Chagrin Valley full-size natural soap and shampoo bars is about 5.8 ounces after curing. The average full-bar dimensions in inches are approximately 3.75 x 3 x 1.
Our Natural Soap and Shampoo Trial Size Sample Bars weigh approximately 1.5 to 2 ounces.
Summary of the variation in weight
- Our soaps are a handmade product
- As our curing bars sit and wait for a new home, they will continue to lose water weight and shrink a bit
- Since all of our recipes are different, the amount and type of liquid used to make each recipe differ and the more liquid used in the recipe, the more they will shrink as they cure
- In Winter the dry heat will often cause bars to shrink a bit more
- No plastic wrapping
- The good news is that the older bars will last longer and lather even better
Most handmade soap companies sell bars that are about 3.5 to 4.5 ounces. Our customers have told us that they like the larger size bars.
When you compare Prices of other soaps, please compare SIZE and ingredients as well!
Some of our products are vegan and some are not. The animal-derived products we may use are goat milk, buttermilk, yogurt, honey, eggs and beeswax.
Our products are never tested on animals (except our human volunteers). We are certified Cruelty-Free by Leaping Bunny!
Our soaps contain no animal fats; we use a vegan base of natural plant oils and butters.
At Chagrin Valley Soap, we provide a full list of ingredients for each of our products. In this way, you can make an informed choice about a product that is right for your lifestyle.
Look for the symbol (shown on the right) on our packaging and on the product pages of our website to indicate vegan products.
We often receive e-mails asking, "Are Your Soaps & Shampoos pH Balanced?"
The question is based on the fact that on the surface of our skin sits a thin layer made up of mainly sweat, skin oils (sebum) and microflora called the "acid mantle."
The acid mantle has an average pH between 4.5 and 6.5, meaning it is mildly acidic. The acidity comes from the fatty acids present in sebum, the acids present in sweat and the microflora that break down the fatty acids.
This question is very difficult for me to answer because
I disagree with the whole necessity of pH balanced skin cleansers.
I absolutely agree that we need a healthy, intact acid mantle. However, the idea that we must use "pH balanced" skin care products or else something will be terribly wrong with our skin, is problematic for me.
Here are my issues:
- Studies show that cleaning your skin with an alkaline product, like soap, temporarily disrupts the skin’s acid mantle. But, studies also show that cleaning with simple tap water also disrupts the acid mantle. Perhaps we should only be bathing in a pure natural stream.
- The purpose of any skin cleansing agent, whether it is pH balanced or not, is to get rid of the fatty sebum (oily) layer on your skin that holds the dirt and contaminants. While removing this fatty layer may make us feel clean, aren’t we disrupting the “acid mantle” by removing it? So basically we are creating a problem because of our cleanliness.
- The acid mantle pH fluctuates and varies depending the region of the body it is covering. The acid mantle is also influenced by gender, time of day, age, physical activity, weather, what and how much we eat, what and how much we drink, ethnic origin, health, medication, the environment and the uniqueness of the micro-flora and the normal secretions of your skin. With so many factors influencing the skin’s pH, how can a product claim to be "pH balanced." I guess the question we should ask is, pH balanced to what?
- The claim "pH balanced" is advertised by many skin care companies. The claim implies that these products are more beneficial to your skin. While pH balanced skin and hair care products may have a lower pH, are the ingredients, like synthetic detergents, needed to make them "pH balanced" really better for your skin? There are so many studies that link irritated and inflamed skin conditions to synthetic additives in skin care products.
- The acidic environment of the acid mantle helps protect us from harmful bacteria that do not like an acidic environment. But, the pH of a well made natural soap (which is used and rinsed off) will not cause long-term changes in the natural pH of skin. After bathing, your skin begins re-secreting the mantle immediately and "healthy skin will regain its acid mantle within 15 to 30 minutes." (Dr. Zoe Draelos: "Dermatology" April 1, 2011) Do we really believe that within less than the one hour it takes to restore our acid mantle, our bodies are going to be overrun with colonies of pathogenic bacteria?
Whatever product we choose to clean our skin, pH balanced or not, will not only remove the natural sebum (fat) but will also remove the natural skin microflora or good bacteria, which help stabilize the pH of the skin as well as protect us from bad bacteria.
After reading so many studies about things that affect the acid mantle, it seems to me that cleaning our skin is actually not a very good idea.
If you really ponder the thought, our method of bathing is a relatively new concept in the long history of humankind.
So I guess the answer to the question is, NO!
Chagrin Valley's natural soaps and shampoo bars have
no synthetic chemicals added to make them pH balanced . . .
and we're proud of it!
Hi Friends at Chagrin Valley Soap, I just wanted to tell you about another use for one of your products. We are on vacation in Central America and my husband has had an encounter with "no-see-ums," which can leave extremely itchy bite marks. He has tried several things to stop the itch, including cortisone cream and benadryl cream. Finally, I had him rub on a little of your neem and tea tree oil shampoo (which I always have with me) and he is feeling much better. Thought you might find that interesting. Thanks for having all your wonderful products. Jane, Texas
I just wanted to say thank you for making such amazing products! My whole life I have battled with eczema so bad that my arms are scarred from scratching. I just recently tried the Neem Body and Hair with Tea Tree. For the first time in my life, I'm not battling with my eczema. My face is clearer, my scalp isn't itchy and flakey, and my arms aren't covered in sores. You have no idea the stress it relieves. Thank you thank you thank you!! Cassie, West Virginia
I cannot say enough good things about the Neem and Tea Tree bar. I love it as a complexion soap, it totally helps with clearing blackheads and cystic acne. I will always have a bar handy, because it really works! It is a little harsh for winter on my sensitive skin, but even so, it is moisturizing and doesn't leave my face feeling stripped and tight. My biggest rave, though, is what it did for my 9 year-old son. He had used some strongly scented sports body wash/shampoo, and his whole scalp was covered in gross yellow flakes (sebhorric dermatitis). His entire head! I tried a mild sulfate-free shampoo to little effect. When I had him use the Neem and Tea Tree bar, his scalp cleared up within the week. No itch, no flakes, and he even likes the way it smells. It's a plus that the bars last a long time, and are affordable. I am so thankful I found these products. I know they will help my son avoid the problematic and embarrassing flakes and scalp itch I endured for years as an adolescent and young adult. I also think this bar will be wonderful for any acne he experiences as he (Eeek!) matures. Chagrin Valley has a customer for life in me! Thank you so very much. Brandye, Illinois
I found the PERFECT shampoo bar that works for my scalp and hair! I have an oily, itchy, angry scalp (sebborheic dermatitis-I seem to have a severe form of it - maybe because my hair is so thick?) which tends to flare up. After a flare up and feeling so frustrated that this happened yet, I went to the drug store and bought some dandruff shampoo. When I returned home, I remembered I had bought your neem and tea tree shampoo bar recently. I made a rinse of a couple teaspoons of Braggs Cider Vinegar and filled the bottle up with water. I shampooed my hair with the neem and tea tree shampoo bar, rinsed, poured the Braggs Cider vinegar with water rinse on my scalp and hair, and guess what?! My scalp felt so much better and the itch was gone! The redness and scalp sores are doing a fast disappearing act. My ultra thick hair was left in beautiful condition - soft, full of volume, no dryness! I will return the dandruff shampo to the drugstore and stick to your neem and tea tree instead - this stuff really works! I am so thrilled that the constant itch (felt like fire ants on my head), scalp sores, and redness is disappearing so fast! Thank you so much!
I highly recommend your wonderful tea and neem soap shampoo for problem scalp sufferers especially those who suffer like I do from sebborheic dermatitis! Maria, Massachusetts
My favorite complexion bar is the Neem and Tea Tree! I have had oily and acne/blackhead prone skin since I was 16! I have tried everything chemical laden over the years to get rid of it! It is now that I am 33 that my skin is starting to heal with the use of this bar. I also use the adzuki micrograin facial scrub mixed with the butter cream to exfoliate twice a week with no irritation! My skin is so smooth! I also moisturize with the whipped squalane face and eye mousse. My skin has never looked better! I wish had taken a before and after because the dark circles that I had under my eyes from those late nights studying in college and the late nights of nursing my baby have faded away thanks to this little miracle in a jar. I hope you guys never stop making these products! I am going to keep ordering as long as I am able to. I am forever grateful for all you do! May God Bless! Amanda, Mississippi
I'd like to start of by saying thank you for creating the best soap and shampoo ever. I have very fine hair that tends to shed. Now my hair is beautiful, thick looking and soft After the first use I noticed less hair was falling out. I work at Starbucks, always having to wash my hands and grab for sanitized towels with sanitize solution on them they get do dry cracked and sometimes my knuckles bleed from being so dried out. Not anymore! oh yes you also solved a lot of my cysts acne problem, I've been dealing with now for 11 years (neem and tea tree). Ariane, California
The neem and tea tree worked wonders on my skin! A little drying at first and quite an adjustment from my usual chemical-laden acne fighters, however it is the greatest thing I have ever tried on my face!! I have used so many different products to treat my cystic acne both retail and prescription, even trying Accutane. Nothing has cleared my skin like this soap. It has even normalized oil/sebum production. I am so relieved and have never felt better about my complexion and myself. Also, I have a couple of patches of Folliculitis on my legs and within days it has completely cleared, I can't believe it. Thank you so much for such an awesome bar! Jessica, Nevada
I need to tell you something incredible about the neem/tea tree bar. I have used prescription topical medication and received steroid shots in my face for acne vulgaris (cystic acne), since the age of 20 and I'm 47 now. It took them until 1999 to find a topical that actually worked. I went thru them all! The topicals are very expensive, one of them alone without insurance is over $200.00. I lost my medical insurance because I had to resign from my job due to illness and so I can't afford the medicine anymore. I decided to try the neem/tea tree soap as soon as I ran out of the medicine, and I am pleased to announce that it worked better than any prescription medication ever did. My skin is so clear and so healthy looking! I am amazed! Thank you so much for making such a wonderful soap, it is a life saver for me, really. All the best, Lisa, Pennsylvania
I have been using your Neem and Tea Tree bar for hair and body for months and love it for how clean and balanced my hair is since using it. I got a wash-and-go haircut and have been able to eliminate EVERY other hair product from my bathroom. I don't even need conditioner, which I always thought I needed to keep my hair soft and shiny. My hair has never been so healthy. Jessica, California
Ida, I was thrilled to stumble on your site, to find such a resource of all natural and high quality products! I LOVE everything I've used to far, but I wanted to quickly mention my particular joy over a few of your products. To tell you a little of my situation, I am 23, have olive, easily-scarred skin and have been a sufferer of several different types of acne for years (especially the deep, cystic types). I've used almost everything harsh and gentle, popular and store brands to find a combination that keeps my skin clear so I can finally heal my scars. I finally decided to go easy on my skin and try your neem and tea tree oil soap per the recommendation another customer sent you. She-was-RIGHT! Immediately my skin started to clear and has been staying clear with no new acne!!! I have never been so relieved or happy with my skin! To be more specific, this is my routine: IF I'm wearing makeup I remove it with your sea salt and seaweed soap right on my skin. I follow with the neem and tea tree oil soap and I moisturize with your squalane facial whip. Its amazing how its helping my scars and under eye circles disappear!!! My skin takes a long time to heal, so I imagine in a few months I will have the skin I've been craving.
PLEASE never discontinue these products, you have a customer for life and I can't wait to try more!!! :) Susu, North Carolina
Dear Ida, About a year and a half ago, my husband developed a severe, itching rash and hives on his entire back which over the last six months, started moving to his chest, his forearms and the back of his legs. It was so bad that, at times, we would spray him down with a numbing agent typically used for sunburns just so he could get a couple of hours of sleep. Since first developing the rash, he has seen at least eight doctors including dermatologists and primary physicians, has had countless steroid shots and oral as well as topical antibiotics. He had blood tests to determine if it was an internal issue or something he was eating or drinking and a week ago, he complete a patch test at UT Southwestern Hospital in Dallas, TX to determine if he was allergic to any one of 40 different chemicals or external factors. The tests indicated some mild inflammation to several different chemicals whose names are too difficult to spell, but needless to say, the dermatologist had no real idea what was causing my husband's rash and had no suggestions other than a couple of prescriptions for more topical steroids. At home we were already using soaps, shampoos and detergents that were for sensitive skin, dye free, etc. but nothing helped.
Long story short, I decided we would try an all-natural, chemical-free, shampoo and soap to see if this would help at all. I found your website, read the description for each type of bar, and ordered the Neem & Tea Tree Body & Shampoo Bar. I received it three days ago. My husband has used it now for three days. His rash is completely gone!!!!! You have absolutely no idea what a Godsend this product is to my husband and our family. Thank you so much for creating such a wonderful product. I look forward to doing business with you for many, many years. Sincerely and with Heartfelt Thanks. Beth, Texas
I'm not sure if I've sent in a review or not, but I MUST say that I love your tea tree and neem soap. I have suffered with acne for 21 years and I have tried just about everything that you can think of to help. I would like to forward you some before and after pics when I get a chance, but for now I MUST say that my skin is the clearest it has EVER been thanks to YOUR soap. I also use your soap on my children's skin since they suffer from eczema and now it is the ONLY soap that I will allow them to use. I also decided to try the tea tree and neem on my hair and it felt FABULOUS. Now that my hair has dried, it is the softest that it has EVER been. I don't use conditioner, either. I am an African-American female with natural, kinky afro hair and your soap provides just the right amount of moisture for my hair type. Thanks! I ordered two bars of extra honey beer and egg soap and I am looking forward to trying them out. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!! Psyletta, Washington
I just wanted to let you know how much I like the Neem and Tea Tree Soap. I have had acne most of my life and have tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. I have used lots of expensive soaps, lotions, creams, etc. and never had the results that I had hoped for. In the first week of using the Neem and Tea Tree soap, my face was clearing up! I am now using a combination of your neem soap and a pure aloe gel and my skin looks better than it has in years. So, thank you! Brooke, Kansas