Oily skin is notorious for causing blocked pores which encourage Propionibacterium acnes, the acne-causing bacteria, to breed. However, using skin-drying alcohol-based products or harsh face washes actually encourages the oil glands to produce more oil (sebum).
Although steaming alone will not clear comedones (pore blockages) the moisturizing heat will increase circulation, open pores, and make facial skin sweat. Sweat, mainly water, sodium, and potassium, also contains many smaller compounds some of which have antibacterial properties. Sweating also helps flush impurities and contains salt which creates an environment that bacteria do not like.
Our Problem Skin Facial Tea is made with organic herbs and botanicals that are known to help open and deep clean pores.
- Facial herbs can be used as a facial steam or facial toner
- Formulated with herbs and botanicals specifically for deep pore cleansing
- Herbs such as thyme have antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that make them valuable natural tools to fight acne
- A facial steam before cleansing softens and helps release dead skin cells, dirt, bacteria and other impurities that can cause breakouts
- 1 bag contains about 1 cup of tea, enough for at least 4 facial steams
- All Natural, Certified Organic, Vegan, Cruelty-Free, Non-GMO
Reusable cotton muslin bag included!
How to Use
Directions for Facial Steam:
- Place 3 tablespoons to ¼ cup of herbs into the muslin bag
- Place bag in a pot or heatproof bowl about 3-quart size
- Pour 2 quarts of boiling water over herbs
- Cover and steep 10 minutes
- Wait a few minutes to allow the water to cool slightly--be sure steam is not too hot
- Place bowl on a heatproof surface where you can comfortably sit
- Holding your head 12 inches from the bowl, drape a large towel over head and bowl to capture steaming herbal water
- Allow the steam to bathe your skin a minute or two and then raise your head a bit and take a few breaths of fresh air
- Repeat the process for a maximum of 5 to 10 minutes
- If at any time it gets too hot under the towel--lift a corner to let in a little cool air
- As the herbs steep, the rising steam will open your pores and carry the aromatic herbal oils your skin
- Splash face with cool water, to close your pores, and pat dry
Please Note: If you have severe or cystic acne heat may aggravate the condition. So check with your doctor before using a face steaming treatment. If steam is contraindicated, you can use the herbal tea as a toner.
For TONER recipes please visit our How To Use Herbal Facial Teas page
For external use only!
Although many people benefit from natural herbal facial steams, they are not appropriate for everyone.
Steam facials should not be used for those with cystic acne or rosacea and heat and sweating can often irritate eczema.
For folks who have extremely sensitive, damaged skin or who are prone to developing tiny broken veins or capillaries, herbal steams can be irritating and should be avoided unless suggested by a health-care provider.
People with health conditions such as asthma or heart trouble should consult their physician before doing facial steams. If you have sensitive or allergy-prone skin, you should always do a skin patch test before using any new herbal product.
Just like you should not sit too long in a steam room, you do not want to facial steam too long or too often. Listen to YOUR skin! A word of caution-- If you feel light-headed or woozy during steaming, stop at once.
For more information read our blog, "How To Use Our Organic Herbal Teas For Facial Skincare"
Aren't all handmade natural soaps the same? . . .
The answer is NO!
Saying a soap is "handmade" says nothing about quality of the ingredients or the knowledge and skill of the soapmaker!
Chagrin Valley is not just another soap and skincare company. We are committed to healthy skin, healthy people and a healthy planet.
We are a USDA Certified Organic Company specializing in luxurious, organic, handmade natural soaps and shampoo bars rich in natural glycerin for healthier skin and hair.
It's all about the ingredients! Inspired by our love of nature, we use organic herbs, seeds, flowers, vegetables, fragrant spices, fruits, pure essential oils and purifying clays for their exceptional skincare benefits and to provide natural color, aromatherapy, texture, or gentle exfoliation. Nothing artificial, nothing synthetic, no GMO’s, just natural wholesome ingredients.
Chagrin Valley's Natural Soap & Shampoo Bars Are...
- all natural
- made with USDA Certified Organic ingredients
- handcrafted in small batches using the old-fashioned Cold Process Method
- made with sustainable and fair trade ingredients
- certified cruelty-free
- free of detergents
- free of synthetic fragrances
- free of synthetic colors
- free of artificial preservatives
- free of artificial foam boosters
- free of alcohol and petroleum products
- free of synthetic additives
- free of GMOs
- mild and nourishing
- rich in natural glycerin
- magnificent long-lasting lather
- cured for 8 to 10 weeks
Our soap making process uses only natural and organic ingredients. Why add artificial ingredients to a handmade product?
How Does a Facial Cleansing Oil Work?
A cleansing oil works its magic in two simple ways . . .
- oil dissolves oil
- skin with balanced oil production is happy skin
1. The concept of the oil cleansing method is rooted in one of the most basic principles of chemistry, “like dissolves like.”
Since water does not dissolve oil, if you wash with water you need some sort of soap or detergent. Think of soap as the middle-man that helps bring oil and water together so that the dirt and grease on your skin can be easily rinsed away.
Oils are what chemists call lipophilic, meaning that they are naturally attracted to other oils, including the excess skin oil (sebum) that causes breakouts and the oil by-products found in most makeup.
Even if you use water-based makeup, throughout the course of a day the makeup will mix with your natural facial oil.
A facial cleansing oil will dissolve away the dirty oil and makeup from your face and replenish it with clean, nourishing oil that protects and moisturizes throughout the day.
2. Using some good, natural, organic oil on your skin actually slows down its own oil production to maintain balance.
There is a huge misconception that using any oil on your face only creates more oil, more breakouts and leaves an oily residue. For years commercial skin care companies have told us we need to remove the oil from our skin, especially our faces.
The problem is that drying out your facial skin actually stimulates increase oil production--which is the opposite of what you are trying to achieve.
Our facial cleansing oil is formulated with a blend of organic oils and herbal infused oils that will balance sebum production and bind with the existing oil to unclog pores and cleanse impurities.
Using pure, organic oils whether to cleanse or simply moisturize will help balance sebum (natural skin oil) production, protect skin and keep it soft, smooth, and hydrated.
For more information please read our blog, "What Is A Facial Cleaning Oil? How Do I Use It?"
Whether you call them "face oils" or "facial serums," nourishing, unrefined organic oils can moisturize, soothe and help restore natural balance to facial skin.
While many people, especially those with oily or acne-prone skin tend to shy away from oil-based moisturizing, it can be a very important step in daily skin care. An organic facial oil helps to increase the moisture content in the skin and prevent further moisture loss.
If you have oily skin, nourishing organic oils can help mimic the natural skin sebum which in turn sends signals to oil-producing cells that say, "Hey my skin is moisturized so stop producing oil."
Using products created to "dry out" oily skin will actually trigger the oil glands to increase oil production, which only exacerbates the oily skin problem. A wholesome moisturizer helps balance skin oil production.
If you have dry skin an organic facial oil made from unrefined botanical oils creates a protective but breathable barrier that slows moisture evaporation and thus helps lock in moisture.
If you have irritated skin a facial oil can help calm inflammation and soothe red irritated skin.
It is especially important for those (like me!) with maturing skin to keep your face adequately moisturized to help with fine lines and wrinkles.
The main thing is to make sure that you are using the right kind of moisturizer.
The most nourishing face oils are those made with unrefined, certified organic plant-based oils.
Unrefined oils are either cold-pressed or expeller-pressed.
They are minimally processed without chemicals under temperature-controlled conditions.
Minimal processing ensures a nutrient-rich, high-quality natural oil.
USDA Certified Organic means the botanical oils are free of synthetic additives, pesticides, and preservatives.
Stay away from petroleum-based products that contain mineral oils that clog your pores and cause breakouts.