A great organic salve for itchy skin due to rashes, healing, and irritated or inflamed skin conditions such as contact dermatitis, eczema, and psoriasis. Contains the healing herbs of Chickweed and Plantain. Made with only organic and biodynamic herbs, organic olive oil and beeswax, our Chickweed salve contains no petrolatum or other petroleum-based ingredients.
- Best salve to relieve itching
- Soothes and calms itchy, inflamed and irritated skin conditions
- Helps itchy dry skin and itchy healing skin
- First aid for relief from insect bites and stings
A salve means simple, effective, natural healing. Organic herbal salves rely on the medicinal properties of nature, not synthetic chemicals. How did we heal and soothe our skin before synthetic products?
We looked to nature!
How to Use
Directions: Apply liberally as often as needed. Within minutes bring the healing qualities of herbs directly to your skin.
Salves and ointments should not be used on open sores or blisters of Poison Ivy or Poison Oak.
The irritating oil (urushiol) in Poison Ivy and Poison Oak can be spread by oil based products. Salves can be used once the area has dried.
The answer is, YES!
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
The most important consideration in any business is its customers. Today's world of misleading claims, false advertising, and simple deception, often leaves consumers trying to discover the truth about personal products and their ingredients.
- We want our customers to know that we are committed to transparency in everything we do.
- We want our customers to know that when we say "organic," we mean it.
- We believe that in becoming a USDA Certified Organic company, our customers do not have to wonder if we really use certified organic ingredients or if our organic products are truly organic.
- So we choose to be a certified organic company and abide by the strict standards required for organic certification.
We hand blend all of our own products in small batches to ensure freshness, consistency, and perfection.
Our products are not made to sit on store shelves for years and years.
Although there are natural preservatives within the chemical structure of natural ingredients, they are nowhere near as potent as the synthetic preservatives used in commercial products to prolong shelf-life.
Other than soap, our products are remade every few weeks and none are very old when they are sold. Our products, other than soap, should be opened within 6 months of purchase.
Since we use no preservatives or chemical stabilizers, the more important question is, "how long will the product last once it has been opened?
Once opened, skin care products become exposed to dirt and microorganisms (bacteria, yeasts, and molds) that are found in the air and on the skin.
As soon as you open and begin to use any product, simply the way in which you use it will affect its lifespan.
So, we are beginning to use the PAO (period-after-opening) symbol. These symbols are already available on the product pages of our website and we are in the process of adding them to all of our labels.
The POA symbol is a standard symbol that identifies the useful lifetime of a skin care product after it has been opened for the first time.
As you can see from the picture on the left, the symbol is an open jar with a written number and the letter "M" for the word "months."
A product with a "6M" would mean that it is good for 6 months after opening.
Tip: write the date you open a product for the first time on its label so you can keep track of the period after opening.
This POA number represents our best suggestion. There are many factors that can affect the lifespan of a product. If a product is discolored, has an unpleasant smell or looks odd, the product should not be used and should be discarded.
- Each time you place your warm fingers into a tin or jar, you melt some of the butter which can change the consistency of the product.
- Fingers also introduce bacteria and other contaminants into the product.
- If a product has not been stored properly, for example, if the lid has been left off for long periods of time, the product may ‘go off’ before the period after opening has passed.
- As scented products age, some of the natural essential oil scent may be lost. Pure essential oils just do not have the staying power of synthetic fragrance oils.
- Over time, natural colors may also fade.
If you’re like me, and you find an old dusty product hiding in a drawer, makeup bag, or even a suitcase from your last trip, you can call us with the lot number and we can verify its age. Obviously, if it seems off in any way, toss it!
Please note: This PAO symbol is widely used in Europe to recommend the length of time a product remains usable after opening, for products that have a shelf-life of at least 30 months. Our products do NOT have a shelf-life of 30 months before opening.
Trying to choose the right natural soap and skin care products can be a bit overwhelming especially when you have allergies and/or skin sensitivities.
Since we proudly list every ingredient in all of our products, reading the ingredient list will help to eliminate ingredients that may cause you problems.
We receive so many emails asking for help with allergies, we created categories in our “Help Me Choose” section to provide information for those with allergies or sensitivities to nuts, coconut, shea butter and gluten.
Hi Guys! Just wanted to tell you how much I love the chickweed salve. I take it on every hike, camping trip and outdoor fun trip. It really, really stops itching. Thanks! Anita, Texas