Don't Bug Me! Natural Bug Spray
Our customers requested a non-oil based bug repellent spray--and here it is!
A natural, organic bug repellent spray made with organic witch hazel and a blend of essential oils that repels insects Naturally!
Our special blend of essential oils includes lemon eucalyptus, recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as an alternative to DEET.
- All Natural, Certified Organic, Vegan, Cruelty-Free, Non-GMO
- A safe natural substitute for chemical-laden bug repellents
- Not harmful to the environment
- Fresh clean scent
- Effective natural bug spray for the whole family
- Sprayer is included
Plants have been protecting themselves from insects since the beginning of time. So why not harness the power of plants? That’s just what we did at Chagrin Valley. We created a line of safe and effective “Don’t Bug Me!” products to help repel insects—Naturally!
How to Use
For Best Results:
- Shake well before using!
- Apply to the skin as often as required paying special attention to places that bugs like to bite you
- Apply to the pulse points on your body. These areas, which have more body heat due to the warmth of your blood, are the best spots to apply a scent that you want to last a bit longer. Pulse points are located behind your ear, at the bottom of your throat, on your wrist, inside your elbow, and behind your knee
- If wearing short pants or shirts, lightly spray onto exposed skin, avoiding eyes and mucous membranes
- Most effective if applied about 5 minutes before venturing outside
- If you are pregnant, please discuss the use of any product with your health care provider
- Do not directly spray into face--for application to face apply to hands and wipe on face avoiding contact with eyes and mouth.
- For small children or those with sensitive skin it is recommended that you do a patch test before using and if you have any questions, check with your healthcare provider
- Please have adults do the applying and do not apply to young children's hands
- Avoid contact with eyes--in case of eye contact, wash eyes with plenty of water
Obviously, the whole idea behind the ingredients in an insect repellent is to make folks as unappealing to bugs as possible. There are natural alternatives to chemical-laden insect repellents.
Plants have been repelling insects and bugs to protect themselves since the beginning of time.
So why not harness the power of plants?
That’s just what we did at Chagrin Valley. We created a line of safe and effective “Don’t Bug Me!” products that would help repel insects—Naturally!
There is clinical research showing that you can minimize bug bites with the natural repellents present in plant essential oils.
The oil of lemon eucalyptus appears to be the most effective. Studies have shown that products containing lemon eucalyptus were more effective than products with lower concentrations of DEET. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) even recommends lemon eucalyptus oil as an alternative to DEET.
Since all plants produce their own natural pesticides as a chemical defense, our natural, organic insect repellents work because the active ingredients are those plant essential oils known to contain high levels of natural bug deterrents.
Our special blend of essential oils in our natural bug repellents includes Lemon Eucalyptus, Cedarwood, Citronella, Lavender, Rosemary, Lemongrass, Basil, and Thyme.
Although the EPA has evaluated the biochemical active ingredients in natural products, like Chagrin Valley’s natural organic bug repellents, for safety, products made from these ingredients have not been evaluated for effectiveness.
If you live, hike or camp in areas that do not have a high risk for bug-borne diseases, natural repellents can offer good protection.
If you are venturing into areas that are heavily infested with mosquitoes and ticks that carry disease, like Malaria or the Zika virus, DEET is still recommended as the most effective.
For more information please read our blog, "Natural Insect Repellents: The Power Of Plants."
The answer is, YES!
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
The most important consideration in any business is its customers. Today's world of misleading claims, false advertising, and simple deception, often leaves consumers trying to discover the truth about personal products and their ingredients.
- We want our customers to know that we are committed to transparency in everything we do.
- We want our customers to know that when we say "organic," we mean it.
- We believe that in becoming a USDA Certified Organic company, our customers do not have to wonder if we really use certified organic ingredients or if our organic products are truly organic.
- So we choose to be a certified organic company and abide by the strict standards required for organic certification.
What Are Essential Oils?
Have you ever enjoyed the scent of a fragrant flower or herb? The fragrance comes from potent, aromatic compounds called essential oils.
These natural compounds are found in the flowers, stems, seeds, bark, roots, fruits and other parts of plants.
Essential oils not only give plants their unique scents, they also help lure plant pollinators and protect plants from insects and other predators.
The chemical composition of essential oils can provide valuable psychological and physical aromatherapeutic benefits.
It is important to note that to be a true essential oil, the oil must be isolated from the plant material by physical means only. Essential oils are NEVER extracted using solvents.
Although synthetic fragrances or "nature identical" oils are available at a much lower cost, only natural plant essential oils to will provide the botanical benefits.
If you are pregnant or under a doctor's care for any medical condition, please consult your healthcare provider before using essential oils.
What Are Essential Oils? (Much more detail)
Go to our Blog Pages and click "Essential Oils" in the category section on the left to read a lot more information on essential oils.
We often receive questions as to whether our soaps, shampoos, and other items are safe to use young children.
A baby’s skin, so thin and delicate, is no place for harmful synthetic chemicals. Sadly, even some of the most trusted baby brands add nasty chemicals to their products.
Read the label on a bar of commercial baby soap or shampoo. Read the label on a bottle of commercial baby oil. Now read the ingredients in Chagrin Valley products.
We recommend starting with our Milk & Honey Baby Soap. We also recommend our three Castile soaps and a Carrot & Honey Soaps. They contain no artificial colors or fragrances.
They also make a great baby shampoo--just keep the soap away from their eyes, we do not add any chemicals that anesthetize your baby's eyes.
When you think your child is ready, try some new soaps.
As with all new products, it is best to do a skin patch test prior to full usage to test for any skin allergies or sensitivities. If you have any questions or concerns always check with your doctor or health care professional.
It is best to add only one new soap at a time and use it for a while before switching to a new soap.
Please do not ask us to diagnose your child's skin problems, we are not health care professionals. Our recommendations are based on what our customers have shared.