Dog Paw Salve
Our natural dog paw salve is formulated to moisturize, condition and protect as well as provide soothing relief for sore, dry or cracked paws as well as dry and irritated skin.
- Nourishing oils are infused with organic botanicals known to speed up healing while providing soothing relief from irritations.
- Calendula: antimicrobial and wound-healing properties speed up healing while providing soothing relief.
- Mullein: astringent and antimicrobial properties are ideal for treating minor wounds and insect bites.
- St. John’s Wort: antiseptic and antiviral properties speed up healing and reduce pain.
- Neem oil's antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties make it an effective remedy for irritations.
- Dog safe essential oils, antifungal and soothing Bergamot, and antibacterial, anti-itch Lavender, round out this great all natural salve to pamper our canine friends
Since dogs lick their paws--this salve is safe for licking!
Products with essential oils should not be used on cats
We love our pets. They are our companions. They are part of our families. They offer loyalty, friendship, and affection, and teach us a lot about life. Our pets have a great deal to give, and they deserve the best quality skincare products.
Organic Sunflower Oil Infused With Organic Calendula, Plantain, Elderberry, Marshmallow Root, Mullein, and St. John’s Wort
How to Use
Directions: Massage into dog paw pads to soothe and soften dry dog paws and other rough spots. Since dogs lick their paws, this salve is safe for licking!
Products with essential oils should not be used on cats
The answer is, YES!
Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve is a USDA Certified Organic company.
The most important consideration in any business is its customers. Today's world of misleading claims, false advertising, and simple deception, often leaves consumers trying to discover the truth about personal products and their ingredients.
- We want our customers to know that we are committed to transparency in everything we do.
- We want our customers to know that when we say "organic," we mean it.
- We believe that in becoming a USDA Certified Organic company, our customers do not have to wonder if we really use certified organic ingredients or if our organic products are truly organic.
- So we choose to be a certified organic company and abide by the strict standards required for organic certification.
All of Chagrin Valley's natural soap, shampoo bars, and personal care products are certified cruelty-free by Leaping Bunny.
The Leaping Bunny Program was developed in 1996, by The Coalition for Consumer Information on Cosmetics (CCIC), to identify and support companies that are doing their part to help eliminate the unnecessary use and mistreatment of animals to test cosmetic products and ingredients. The CCIC is made up of eight animal protection groups including the Humane Society of the U.S., as well as groups from Canada and Europe.
At Chagrin Valley we obviously do not test our finished products on animals (other than human volunteers), but what about the raw materials, the ingredients we use? Many products display labels claiming that their finished product is ‘not tested on animals’ but this does not guarantee that the product ingredients are actually free from animal testing.
The CCIC Standard is a pledge that a company makes to remove animal testing from all stages of product development. Our pledge to buy ingredients that are cruelty-free is integrated into the purchase order contract for all of our suppliers.
Personal care products displaying the “real” Leaping Bunny logo are certified ‘cruelty-free' using the internationally recognized Humane Cosmetics Standards. These rigorous standards require that no animal testing is performed or authorized for finished products or ingredients in any stage of product development by the company, its laboratories or its suppliers after a fixed cut-off date. All Leaping Bunny companies are subject to independent audits and pledge commitments are renewed on an annual basis.
At Chagrin Valley Soap & Salve . . .
- we do NOT test our products on animals
- we do NOT use ingredients tested on animals
- we do NOT sell into markets that require animal testing
The Leaping Bunny Program provides
the best assurance to consumers
that they are making compassionate shopping choices
by purchasing Cruelty-Free skin care!
We hand blend all of our own products in small batches to ensure freshness, consistency, and perfection.
Our products are not made to sit on store shelves for years and years.
Although there are natural preservatives within the chemical structure of natural ingredients, they are nowhere near as potent as the synthetic preservatives used in commercial products to prolong shelf-life.
Other than soap, our products are remade every few weeks and none are very old when they are sold. Our products, other than soap, should be opened within 6 months of purchase.
Since we use no preservatives or chemical stabilizers, the more important question is, "how long will the product last once it has been opened?
Once opened, skin care products become exposed to dirt and microorganisms (bacteria, yeasts, and molds) that are found in the air and on the skin.
As soon as you open and begin to use any product, simply the way in which you use it will affect its lifespan.
So, we are beginning to use the PAO (period-after-opening) symbol. These symbols are already available on the product pages of our website and we are in the process of adding them to all of our labels.
The POA symbol is a standard symbol that identifies the useful lifetime of a skin care product after it has been opened for the first time.
As you can see from the picture on the left, the symbol is an open jar with a written number and the letter "M" for the word "months."
A product with a "6M" would mean that it is good for 6 months after opening.
Tip: write the date you open a product for the first time on its label so you can keep track of the period after opening.
This POA number represents our best suggestion. There are many factors that can affect the lifespan of a product. If a product is discolored, has an unpleasant smell or looks odd, the product should not be used and should be discarded.
- Each time you place your warm fingers into a tin or jar, you melt some of the butter which can change the consistency of the product.
- Fingers also introduce bacteria and other contaminants into the product.
- If a product has not been stored properly, for example, if the lid has been left off for long periods of time, the product may ‘go off’ before the period after opening has passed.
- As scented products age, some of the natural essential oil scent may be lost. Pure essential oils just do not have the staying power of synthetic fragrance oils.
- Over time, natural colors may also fade.
If you’re like me, and you find an old dusty product hiding in a drawer, makeup bag, or even a suitcase from your last trip, you can call us with the lot number and we can verify its age. Obviously, if it seems off in any way, toss it!
Please note: This PAO symbol is widely used in Europe to recommend the length of time a product remains usable after opening, for products that have a shelf-life of at least 30 months. Our products do NOT have a shelf-life of 30 months before opening.
What Are Pure Essential Oils?
Have you ever enjoyed the scent of a fragrant flower or herb? The fragrance comes from potent, aromatic compounds called essential oils.
These natural compounds are found in the flowers, stems, seeds, bark, roots, fruits and other parts of plants.
Essential oils not only give plants their unique scents, they also help lure plant pollinators and protect plants from insects and other predators.
The chemical composition of essential oils can provide valuable psychological and physical aromatherapeutic benefits.
It is important to note that to be a true essential oil, the oil must be isolated from the plant material by physical means only. Essential oils are NEVER extracted using solvents.
Although synthetic fragrances or "nature identical" oils are available at a much lower cost, only natural plant essential oils to will provide the botanical benefits.
If you are pregnant or under a doctor's care for any medical condition, please consult your healthcare provider before using essential oils.
What Are Essential Oils? (Much more detail)
Go to our Blog Pages and click "Essential Oils" in the category section on the left to read a lot more information on essential oils.