Morena is the Spanish word for brunette. Brunettes have been pouring freshly brewed coffee on their hair for centuries to help transform flat brown tones into shiny, warmer, rich color and maybe even do away with some of those pesky gray strands.
The warm sensuous essential oil blend of clove, lavender, patchouli and ylang ylang blends nicely with a hint of coffee, promotes natural moisture balance, and is beneficial for dry and damaged hair.
- Emollient rich, nourishing babassu oil moisturizes and restores hair strength and elasticity, for shiny, healthy-looking hair
- Made with lots of unrefined shea butter to provide deep nourishment for the hair shaft
- Moisturizes and softens dry, dull, or damaged hair
- Helps improve luster and manageability
- Organic cloves help enhance warm tones
- Fresh brewed organic coffee enriches brown hues
- The natural oil from the coffee beans adds luster to dry hair
- Studies done at a university in Germany suggest that caffeine promotes hair growth
- Good for dry hair
A sulfate free, silicone free, paraben free natural shampoo
We use coffee from Rising Star Coffee Roasters. Read more about Rising Star in the FAQs on this page.
Watch Sam on the "New Day Cleveland" show demonstrating how we use local coffee beans from Rising Star Coffee Roasters to create awesome handmade, organic skin and hair care products!
Made with Organic Shea Butter, Coffee and Cloves
Certified Organic By OEFFA
A USDA Accredited Organic Certifying Agent
How to Use
Technique #1: Use The Bar Directly On Your Hair
- Begin with thoroughly wet hair.
- Gently rub wet the shampoo bar directly onto your hair from scalp to ends in a combing motion.
- Cover each section of your hair. Gently massage scalp and hair, adding more water as needed, until a good lather forms.
- To prevent tangles, be sure to always work from the top down, don't pile your hair on your head and use your fingers like a comb, not a mixer.
- With this method, it is very important that you really build up a good lather on your head so there are no patches of soap left on your hair.
- Rinse, rinse, rinse!
- Repeat if desired
Technique #2: Create The Lather in Your Hands
- Begin with thoroughly wet hair.
- Rub the wet shampoo bar between your wet hands to create a nice lather.
- Using your fingers like a comb, smooth the lather along your hair.
- Gently massage it into the scalp and hair, as you would with a bottled shampoo.
- Work up a good lather
- Rinse, rinse, rinse!
- Repeat if desired.
If you have long hair, please check out the FAQ on the left titled, "Ida's Shampoo Bar Technique for Long Hair."
Rising Star Coffee is an amazing oasis in the heart of a thriving urban area of Downtown Cleveland known as the Ohio City district. Located in the old Ohio City Firehouse, Kim Jenkins is the visionary who decided to begin the operation they refer to as "progressive coffee roasting."
We like their simple philosophy about coffee. "Buy dang good coffee and pay the farmer and the producer enough money to live and maybe even enjoy life." They develop direct trade relationships with all of their producing partners and coffee farmers. They call it "Relationship Coffee."
For a long time, all farmers in producing countries were paid slave wages and huge corporations benefited from their labor. We are proud to have a collaboration with a company like Rising Star Coffee Roasters that works directly with the coffee producers. As a result, they have not only improved the quality of the coffee, but also the quality of life for farmers that are fairly compensated for their superior beans.
At Chagrin Valley Soap we believe in the power of small businesses and know they are the engine that drives our country. Small business owners and employees have expertise in their industry, passion for the products they manufacture and sell, value their customers and take a special pride in their trade.
Shampoo Bars Are One Of Our Favorite Discoveries!
The wholesome goodness of our handcrafted soap is available for your hair.
Shampoo bars are an all natural conditioning shampoo in a solid bar form. Yes, this is real shampoo in a solid bar. Shampoo bars are not a new idea.
They were commonly used before liquid detergent shampoos and conditions were invented in the 1940's.
Although the process for making a shampoo bar is the same as making soap, our shampoo bar "recipes" are specially formulated with natural plant oils, butters, botanicals and essential oils that nourish your hair and scalp.
Our shampoo bars contain no artificial fragrance, color, preservatives, detergents, alcohol, urea, formaldehyde, sodium lauryl sulfate, DEA, propylene glycol - or any of the other synthetic hair care additives.
Each of our shampoo bar selections contains a different blend of natural plant oils, essential oils, and herb infused oils. No two recipes are the same.
Which Shampoo Bar Is Best For My Hair?
Everything You Want To Know About Shampoo Bars!
Please read "Everything About Shampoo Bars!"
Conventional shampoos and conditioners, even some that claim to be natural, contain waxes, silicones or other additives that coat your hair to make it feel smooth.
Since our natural shampoo bars do not strip hair like detergent based shampoos, you may notice your hair feels different immediately after washing because your hair is accustomed to the squeaky clean feel of detergent based shampoo.
Switching from conventional shampoo to a natural shampoo bar often means a transition or adjustment period. While many folks have little problem with their hair adjusting to a new routine, some do.
Since everyone's hair is unique it is difficult to tell you exactly what your transition, if any, will look and feel like. Your hair may feel greasier than normal or it may even feel drier than normal. It may feel waxy, coated or just weird.
This transition period, which can range from a few days to a few weeks or even a month, is literally a time for your hair, which has been addicted to chemical-laden shampoos, to go through withdrawal, and learn to live a chemical-free life. It's not easy!
It may take some patience, but if you can persevere, your reward will be healthy, soft and silky hair.
We have been making shampoo bars for over 14 years and have received so many questions. Below are links to pages that may help answer your adjustment questions.
For more detailed information and great transition tips please read our blog "Tips Adjusting To Shampoo Bars."
Can I Use A Shampoo Bar With Color Treated Hair?
Most people find that shampoo bars are easier on color treated hair than commercial shampoos.
We have many customers who color their hair and use our gentle shampoo bars. One customer who "darkens" her hair wrote to tell us that she is now able to go one month longer before recoloring her hair.
Another customer who "lightens" her hair, wrote that the color stays "nicer" longer and she does not get that "brassy" blonde color anymore.
But since everyone's hair and coloring products are different, please do a strand test to judge for yourself.
To do a strand test, shampoo a strand of hair in a non-conspicuous area and rinse. Notice if there are any changes.
The good thing about the shampoo bars is that they actually prolong color - before I started using them, I'd have to dye my hair every 3 weeks, now it's every 5-6 weeks. Venessa, Indiana
Whether or not you need to use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse depends on a number of factors.
- Your water: If your hair does not seem to be adjusting to the shampoo bars, it may be due to your water. Hard water makes it more difficult to rinse natural shampoo from your hair.
- Hair length: Many of our male customers and women with short hair have found that they do not need to rinse with vinegar, simply because their hair is short.
- Tangles: ACV rinses often help with tangles.
- Residue: If your hair has residue from previous products or you regularly use conditioners, styling gels etc., our shampoo bars are mild and may not remove residue from your hair like detergent shampoos. ACV rinses help remove build-up and product residue.
- Hair type: Everyone's hair is unique.
I wish I could use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse very day. Besides creating tangle-free locks, I also love the way it makes my hair look and feel. As I have gotten older my hair has become drier and I can only use an ACV rinse 2 or 3 times week.
Ida's Shampooing Technique for Long Hair
Men and women with short hair seldom have hair adjustment problems. Folks with long hair have to tinker a bit with technique and bar type. I have found that often times the technique can make all the difference.
You have to experiment with your unique hair type. I have long, fine hair. Below is my technique for using a shampoo bar. I...
- thoroughly wet my hair
- tie my long hair into a loose ponytail
- wet the shampoo bar and rub the bar across the top of my head in strokes from front to back until I have covered the entire scalp area. (I have found that if I rub any shampoo vigorously in all directions, my fine long hair gets very tangled)
- massage my entire scalp in a combing motion to work the lather through my hair. I do not rub the bar or work the lather on the length of my hair.
- take out my ponytail and rinse allowing the shampoo to drip down the length of my hair. (I have found that this rinsing is enough to clean the length of my hair.)
- rinse for at LEAST one minute as I rub my fingers through my hair to be sure that all of the shampoo is rinsed away
- squeeze gently on the length to remove excess water and cover with a towel while I dry off the rest of me. I do not rub the towel over my wet hair because it causes nasty tangles.
- use a wide toothed comb and gently comb from the bottom up
Dry and style your hair as usual!
Some folks do, and some don't!
If you are using a conditioner because your hair is dull, lacks luster, and is dry--you may need a conditioner--that's another plastic bottle saved! Since commercial shampoos contain petroleum products which are actually drying to your hair and scalp, conditioners are usually needed.
Our natural shampoo bars will not strip the natural oils from your hair, so you will not need the typical moisturizing conditioners that people use to replace the natural oils stripped by detergent shampoos.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) rinses are an excellent addition to any natural hair care routine and can help bring back body and shine to dull, lackluster hair.
For Tangly Hair
Hair tangles result when individual hairs go in different directions and intertwine.
The outer layer of the hair, the cuticle, is made of overlapping layers of long scales that lie along the surface of the hair like shingles on a roof.
The condition of the cuticle scales in part determines whether you are going to have tangly hair. When you shampoo or even wet your hair, the cuticle opens making it prone to tangling.
The way you shampoo and your hair type can affect hair tangles. I have long, fine, thin hair that is very prone to tangling. Just imagine all of those little strands of hair as very thin strings—now put little burrs on the strings (the open cuticle) and you can see my problem.
I wish I could use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse very day. Besides creating tangle-free locks, I also love the way it makes my hair look and feel. As I have gotten older my hair has become dryer and I can only use an ACV rinse 2 or 3 times week.
I have perfected a washing technique that helps with my tangles (see FAQ) but sometimes I need a tiny bit of conditioner on the ends or I use our Organic Herbal Hair Rinse Detangler blend.
Helpful hint: If I comb through my hair length while it is still lathered and continue to comb as I rinse, the tangles comb out more easily.
The Short Answer
Yes And No!
Although handmade soaps usually get better with age, we recommend using our soaps within 12 months of purchase. Our scented soaps should be used within 3 months after removing them from the box.
Although the soaps will not be "spoiled" after that time, you may notice some changes as natural soap ages.
- some natural colors may fade over time
- the scents from pure natural essential oil scents will fade over time
The changes in color and scent happen even more quickly in our sample size bars.
These bars have a much greater surface area to volume ratio which allows essential oils to evaporate from the surface more quickly. However, the scent may still be there when you lather up.
I have found some ancient bars hiding in my closet that years old. The scents were gone, but the lather was incredible!
The Long Answer
For a more detailed discussion please read our blog, "The Shelf Life, Color & Scent of an All Natural Soap."
How You Can Help Prolong Shelf-Life
- Natural soaps need to breathe. Exposure to air promotes hardening of your soap and contributes to longer-lasting quality. Soap should be left unwrapped in their boxes or wrapped with breathable materials. Tight wrappers cause humid conditions by preventing evaporation of moisture.
- Our soaps are packaged in breathable, recyclable, sustainable packaging! Keep your natural handmade soaps in a dry, cool place away from sunlight, excessive heat and humidity.
- Our scented soaps, like Lavender Rosemary, can be placed in a muslin bag or wrapped in a piece of cloth and put in your linen closet or dresser drawer to give a delightful fragrance to your linens and clothes while waiting to be used.
"My husband and I decided to finally take the natural route and do away with commercial shampoos and body washes. We searched the web for shampoo bars and stumbled upon Chagrin Valley. We ended up ordering the Cafe Moreno along with the Rosemary mint. Never had I been so excited to receive soap in the mail. It was the BEST DECISION I HAVE EVER MADE FOR MY HAIR! With just ONE wash I could already see a difference.
My husband and I tried both and loved them. They are very fragrant which is what we wanted because we like to have a scent left in our hair. The bars smell heavenly and for the first time, my dry curly hair was shiny and smoothed out. Thank you so much for making these products. They are amazing and I am not only officially a fan but will be a returning customer! [I can't stop sniffing my hair, it smells so yummy :) ]" Carolina, Florida
The cafe moreno bar smells really great. I have natural dark brown hair that has been treated with henna and henndigo. I was skeptical about the bar at first because I've never used a shampoo bar and I wasn't expecting the amount of condition it would bring. Wow, I seriously traded in my $20 salon shampoo for this lovely little bar. (And I'm a hairdresser) It gives my hair slip, body, shine, and my cuticle is smooth after using it. My coarse, Asian type hair has never felt this silky. It worked better for my hair than the other bars I purchased.You have a customer for life! Jessica, Nevada
Hey Ida, I've been using the Cafe Moreno shampoo and loving it. Did you know that a study done in Germany said that treating hair with caffeine products can help stop men from going bald? My father started going bald in his 40's and I am now in my late 30's--so I will let you know in a few years whether it works! Mark, California
Thank you so much for your quality products. Ever since I was a little girl, I've always had fine hair and a dry scalp, which is not an easy combination to add volume to. I had to choose between painful dry flakes or greasy oil thin flat hair. Then one day, it was recommended to me to try something without preservatives or sulfates, to see if it would help with the itching, which was something I had to deal with all the time. And I found the cafe Moreno bars. They weren't my first choice when I made my first purchase, but three years later it is the shampoo I come back to over and over again. They seem to tone my scalp, and of course I finally found relief from the dreadful itching, but oh what they do for my hair! My brown hair went from blah to vavoom! The color is deep and rich, somehow having highlights, though I don't color my hair. The volume is lovely, and not drying. And when I use a cold water rinse, the shine its better than anything I've ever gotten from any conditioner. Also, your deodorant is wonderful, much better than anything I can make on my own at home. Very worth it. Thank you for making your products. I don't want to think about having to do without them! Amanda, Arizona
I just wanted to write to tell you how much I LOVE CAFÉ MORENO shampoo bar! I have been using it for several months now, and I swear my hair is thicker and growing faster than it used to! I also no longer need to use a conditioner....just a shampoo and I am good to go! I also don’t have to wash my hair as often. I have never been one to wash it every day....usually every other day. With this shampoo though, I can get away with only twice a week washing, and it never looks like it needs to be washed! I am not sure how a shampoo bar could make such a difference, but it really has. I am blessed with pretty thick, curly, brunette hair. I did however lose a lot of my curl and thickness after my three children were born. While my hair is not back to the days of my youth (I am now 49) it looks better than it has in years!!! THANK YOU FOR A GREAT PRODUCT that I feel good about using!!! Ellen, Pennsylvania