Natural herbs and essential oils, combined with a gentle massage, stimulate the scalp, increase circulation and nourish the roots which may help slow hair loss.
Limit of 0 per order
A customer, who is an herbalist, requested the ingredients in this shampoo bar specifically for a holistic approach to scalp stimulation and potential hair loss. We infuse sunflower oil with hair-nourishing botanicals, and then add virgin hemp seed oil and aloe vera.
Natural herbs and essential oils, combined with a gentle massage, stimulate the scalp, increase circulation and nourish the roots which may help slow hair loss.
- Nourishing organic oils, butters, herbs and essential oils in this natural shampoo promote healthy hair
- Yucca Root, an emollient, contains natural saponins, a natural cleansing agent that soothes and nourishes the scalp
- Wheatgrass can help with dandruff and hair loss
- Shea Butter helps condition and smooth the hair shaft and aloe makes hair more manageable, smoother, silkier, and healthier
- Nettles, an excellent hair conditioner, have a reputation for preventing hair loss and making hair soft and shiny
- Rosemary encourages strong, healthy hair, stimulates growth and increases manageability
- The essential oil blend, developed to stimulate the scalp, creates a warm herbal scent
🍃NATURAL, VEGAN & ECO-FRIENDLY: We are committed to healthy skin, healthy people, and a healthy planet. Packaged in recyclable boxes, there is Zero Waste & No Plastic. No synthetic ingredients. No fragrance oils, dyes, sulfates, silicones, or preservatives. Made with ingredients that are biodegradable, Certified Organic, non-GMO, cruelty-free, sustainably produced, and ethically traded.
🍃OUR BARS ARE BIG & TRAVEL FRIENDLY: Our natural shampoo bars are 5.6 oz (159 g) & a perfect choice for TSA-friendly travel. They can do extra duty as a body soap or for a foamy lather wet shave. Great for camping or the gym.
A sulfate-free, silicone-free, paraben-free natural shampoo
Why use shampoo bars? They are natural, gentle, environmentally friendly, cost effective and convenient. Customers tell us that switching to shampoo bars helps increase volume and shine and reduce shedding, dandruff, and frizz.
Organic Canola Oil infused with Nettle, Rosemary, Chamomile, Sage, Green Tea, Parsley, Thyme, Comfrey Leaf, Comfrey Root
Made with Organic Nettle, Wheatgrass & Hemp Seed Oil
Certified Organic By OEFFA
A USDA Accredited Organic Certifying Agent
How to Use
Why Is A Shampooing Technique Important?
Our natural shampoo bars are a lot more concentrated than liquid shampoos. They are superfatted and thus contain extra oils and butters to nourish your hair.
If you do not build a nice lather and rinse really well you will have areas that remain coated with the soap oils, which can make it look or feel “gummy.”
Notice that we do NOT recommend lathering up the length of your hair with the shampoo bar.
As you use your fingers to rinse the lather through the strands, there is enough shampoo to clean the length. This technique helps prevent coating your hair strands with shampoo residue.
If you are new to shampoo bars please our blog, "How to Use a Natural Shampoo Bar" for more detailed information.
Our Favorite Technique
I think this is the best technique if you are new to shampoo bars, have adjustment issues, or have long or thick hair.
This technique helps prevent pockets of soap residue in your hair that can make hair feel tacky.
- One of the most important steps is to begin with thoroughly wet hair--I mean a lot of water. Be sure that the water saturates your hair all the way down to the roots.
- Rub the wet shampoo bar between your wet hands or puff to create a nice lather.
- Massage the lather into your scalp at the roots of the hair until you work up a really good lather
- It is very important to work the shampoo into your scalp with water and really build up a good lather so there are no patches of soap left on your hair.
- Lathering up also allows the dirt and extra oils to be washed away.
- If the lather is not foamy enough, add more water.
- Using your fingers like a comb, smooth the lather down the length of your hair as you rinse with water.
- To prevent tangles, be sure to always work from the top down, use your fingers like a comb, not a mixer, and don't pile your hair on your head,
- Rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse and rinse again. I cannot stress how important this step is to shampoo bar success. In order to remove excess shampoo, which can leave a filmy feeling and weigh hair down, do NOT rush this step! The rinsing should take longer than washing and lathering time.
- If your hair is long or thick, lift up sections of your hair to ensure that all of the shampoo is rinsed clean. Don’t neglect parts of your head that are more difficult to reach, such as the nape of your neck or the back of the head.
- Repeat if desired but I found that as my hair adjusted I only needed one round of shampoo.
If you have long hair, please check out the FAQ on the left titled, "Ida's Shampoo Bar Technique for Long Hair."
Shampoo Bars Are One Of Our Favorite Discoveries!
The wholesome goodness of our handcrafted soap is available for your hair.
Shampoo bars are an all natural conditioning shampoo in a solid bar form. Yes, this is real shampoo in a solid bar. Shampoo bars are not a new idea.
They were commonly used before liquid detergent shampoos and conditions were invented in the 1940s.
Although the process for making a shampoo bar is the same as making soap, our shampoo bar "recipes" are specially formulated with natural plant oils, butters, botanicals and essential oils that nourish your hair and scalp.
Our shampoo bars contain no artificial fragrance, color, preservatives, detergents, alcohol, urea, formaldehyde, sodium lauryl sulfate, DEA, propylene glycol - or any of the other synthetic hair care additives.
Each of our shampoo bar selections contains a different blend of natural plant oils, essential oils, and herb infused oils. No two recipes are the same.
Which Shampoo Bar Is Best For My Hair?
Everything You Want To Know About Shampoo Bars!
Please read "Everything About Shampoo Bars!"
Conventional shampoos and conditioners, even some that claim to be natural, contain waxes, silicones or other additives that coat your hair to make it feel smooth. They also contain synthetic detergents which rinse out more easily than a soap-based shampoo bar.
Since our natural shampoo bars do not strip hair like detergent based shampoos, you may notice your hair feels different immediately after washing because your hair is accustomed to the squeaky clean feel of detergent-based shampoo.
Switching from conventional shampoo to a natural shampoo bar may meana a transition or adjustment period. While many folks have little problem with their hair adjusting to a new routine, some do.
Since everyone's hair is unique it is difficult to tell you exactly what your transition, if any, will look and feel like. Your hair may feel greasier than normal or it may even feel drier than normal. It may feel waxy, coated or just weird.
This transition period, which can range from a few days to a few weeks or even a month, is literally a time for your hair, which has been addicted to chemical-laden shampoos, to go through withdrawal, and learn to live a chemical-free life. It's not easy!
We have been making and using natural shampoo bars for over 14 years and have received so many questions.
It may take some patience, but if you can persevere, your reward will be healthy, soft, and silky hair.
For more detailed information and great transition tips please read our blog "Tips Adjusting To Shampoo Bars."
Can I Use A Natural Shampoo Bar With Color-Treated Hair?
Most people find that shampoo bars are easier on color-treated hair than commercial shampoos.
We have many customers who color their hair and use our gentle shampoo bars. One customer who "darkens" her hair wrote to tell us that she is now able to go one month longer before recoloring her hair.
Another customer who "lightens" her hair, wrote that the color stays "nicer" longer and she does not get that "brassy" blonde color anymore.
But since everyone's hair and coloring products are different, please do a strand test to judge for yourself.
To do a strand test, shampoo a strand of hair in a non-conspicuous area and rinse. Notice if there are any changes.
The good thing about the shampoo bars is that they actually prolong color - before I started using them, I'd have to dye my hair every 3 weeks, now it's every 5-6 weeks. Venessa, Indiana
For more information read our blog, "Everything You Want To Know About Natural Shampoo Bars!"
Whether or not you need to use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse depends on a number of factors.
- Your water: If your hair does not seem to be adjusting to the shampoo bars, it may be due to your water. Hard water makes it more difficult to rinse natural shampoo from your hair.
- Hair length: Many of our male customers and women with short hair have found that they do not need to rinse with vinegar, simply because their hair is short.
- Tangles: ACV rinses often help with tangles.
- Residue: If your hair has residue from previous products or you regularly use conditioners, styling gels etc., our shampoo bars are mild and may not remove residue from your hair like detergent shampoos. ACV rinses help remove build-up and product residue.
- Hair type: Everyone's hair is unique.
I wish I could use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse very day. Besides creating tangle-free locks, I also love the way it makes my hair look and feel. As I have gotten older my hair has become drier and I can only use an ACV rinse 2 or 3 times week.
Ida's Shampooing Technique for Long Hair
Men and women with short hair seldom have hair adjustment problems to natural shampoo bars. Folks with long hair have to tinker a bit with technique and bar type. I have found that oftentimes the technique can make all the difference.
You have to experiment with your unique hair type. I have long, fine hair. Below is my technique for using a shampoo bar. I...
- thoroughly wet my hair
- tie my long hair into a loose ponytail
- wet the natural shampoo bar and rub the bar across the top of my head in strokes from front to back until I have covered the entire scalp area. (I have found that if I rub any shampoo vigorously in all directions, my fine long hair gets very tangled)
- massage my entire scalp in a combing motion to work the lather through my hair. I do not rub the bar or work the lather on the length of my hair.
- take out my ponytail and rinse allowing the shampoo to drip down the length of my hair. (I have found that this rinsing is enough to clean the length of my hair.)
- rinse for at LEAST one minute as I rub my fingers through my hair to be sure that all of the shampoo is rinsed away
- squeeze gently on the length to remove excess water and cover with a towel while I dry off the rest of me. I do not rub the towel over my wet hair because it causes nasty tangles.
- use a wide toothed comb and gently comb from the bottom up
Dry and style your hair as usual!
Some folks do, and some don't!
If you are using a conditioner because your hair is dull, lacks luster, and is dry--you may not need a conditioner--that's another plastic bottle saved! Since commercial shampoos contain petroleum products that are actually drying to your hair and scalp, conditioners are usually needed.
Our natural shampoo bars will not strip the natural oils from your hair, so you will not need the typical moisturizing conditioners that people use to replace the natural oils stripped by detergent shampoos.
Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) rinses are an excellent addition to any natural hair care routine and can help bring back body and shine to dull, lackluster hair.
For Tangly Hair
Hair tangles result when individual hairs go in different directions and intertwine.
The outer layer of the hair, the cuticle, is made of overlapping layers of long scales that lie along the surface of the hair like shingles on a roof.
The condition of the cuticle scales in part determines whether you are going to have tangly hair. When you shampoo or even wet your hair, the cuticle opens making it prone to tangling.
The way you shampoo and your hair type can affect hair tangles. I have long, fine, thin hair that is very prone to tangling. Just imagine all of those little strands of hair as very thin strings—now put little burrs on the strings (the open cuticle) and you can see my problem.
I wish I could use an apple cider vinegar (ACV) rinse every day. Besides creating tangle-free locks, I also love the way it makes my hair look and feel. As I have gotten older, my hair has become dryer and I can only use an ACV rinse 2 or 3 times per week.
I have perfected a washing technique that helps with my tangles (see FAQ) but sometimes I need a tiny bit of conditioner on the ends or I use our Organic Herbal Hair Rinse Detangler blend.
Helpful hint: If I comb through my hair length while it is still lathered and continue to comb as I rinse, the tangles comb out more easily.
The Short Answer
Yes And No!
Although handmade natural soaps usually get better with age, we recommend using our soaps within 12 months of purchase. Our scented soaps should be used within 3 months after removing them from the box.
Although the soaps will not be "spoiled" after that time, you may notice some changes as natural soap ages.
- some natural colors may fade over time
- the scents from pure natural essential oil scents will fade over time
The changes in color and scent happen even more quickly in our sample size bars.
These small natural soap bars have a much greater surface area to volume ratio which allows essential oils to evaporate from the surface more quickly. However, the scent may still be there when you lather up.
I have found some ancient bars hiding in my closet that years old. The scents were gone, but the lather was incredible!
The Long Answer
For a more detailed discussion please read our blog, "The Shelf Life, Color & Scent of an All Natural Soap."
How You Can Help Prolong Shelf-Life
- Natural soaps need to breathe. Exposure to air promotes hardening of your soap and contributes to longer-lasting quality. Soap should be left unwrapped in their boxes or wrapped with breathable materials. Tight wrappers cause humid conditions by preventing evaporation of moisture.
- Our soaps are packaged in breathable, recyclable, sustainable packaging! Keep your natural handmade soaps in a dry, cool place away from sunlight, excessive heat and humidity.
- Our scented soaps, like Lavender Rosemary, can be placed in a muslin bag or wrapped in a piece of cloth and put in your linen closet or dresser drawer to give a delightful fragrance to your linens and clothes while waiting to be used.
My mother purchased a bar [Herb Garden Shampoo] for me while going through chemo. I was told that my hair would thin but not completely bald. I was on 3 types of chemo for 6 weeks. My hair loss was VERY minimal and my hair staid healthy and strong. Although my medication made my skin very sensitive I had no side affects from this product. I would recommend it to anyone on chemo or having radiation treatments. Tanya
I just wanted to let you know I've been using the Herb Garden shampoo bar for a couple of months now and even my hairdresser commented on all the new growth. I've had a receding hairline for as long as I can remember and I lost a lot of hair after the birth of my daughter, but the hairline is much better now and I've stopped "shedding." Thanks! Dawn, Washington
Chagrin Valley Team, I just want to thank you for continuing to make such a great product! It seems like almost every time I walk into a health food store or farmers market there is someone selling handmade soap, but I only buy from you guys because those other soaps never smell as good, and they never have shampoo bars. I have been buying from you guys for years now. I stopped for a little while due to finances, and bought cheap shampoo, but whether due to the cheap shampoo, medications I was taking for fibromyalgia, or diabetes which went a long time uncontrolled (since I didn't know about it) my hair started thinning at an alarming rate.
Supplements didn't seem to help, and with only about 3 months till my wedding I was getting very concerned. I placed an order with you again, for the ayurvedic herb and herb garden shampoo bars. Within a couple weeks it was clear that the shampoo bars had not only stopped the hair loss/thinning but actually started to reverse it. It was also at that time that I fell in love with the winter survival soap - it helped bring relief to my chronic sinusitis and after using I'd feel invigorated. I wish it was available year round! I'll be a customer for life, and I so look forward to the next new offerings you come up with as your company grows. Not sure when you added the sore muscle rub, as it's been a while since I looked at the salves, but I added one to my order today and I'm very hopeful that will help with some of the pain I experience from my fibromyalgia, because I know your products always deliver! Thanks again, Teresa, South Carolina
Thank you for still offering this Herb Garden Shampoo Bar. After a couple years using it, my husband has ALL the hair back he lost on top. I didn't think it was possible to get it back, I had hoped to slow it down but his hair growth is nothing short of amazing. His father is pretty much completely bald on top, so, of course, we assumed my husband would eventually be as well. Now, I don't think that will be the case. After switching to your all natural shampoo bar, his hair has come back in and thick, shiny and soft, very beautiful. He won't use anything else. Thanks Ida. We owe his sexy locks to you! Thanks again, happy wife, Leaha. Leaha, Ohio
The Herb Garden shampoo bar is a marvel. Yours are the first shampoo bars I've used that I actually like. All the others have either left my hair feeling gunky, don't lather worth a darn, or require me to use a ton of conditioner afterward to keep it from looking like squirrels have been nesting in it and allow me to comb it out while wet. But not this little baby. It lathers beautifully and my hair just feels clean and soft afterwards. I can run my comb through it with out any problems. In fact I've found that I don't even need my comb, I can just run my fingers through it and go. and the shine! I've never used another shampoo that works this well. I also love the way it feels so cool and refreshing on my scalp. The scent is fantastic as well. Angela, Washington
I just wanted to let you know how blessed I am that you guys came into my life! I am really enjoying your products! I suffer from alopecia (the mildest form) which was caused by the use of heat and chemicals on my head for 7 years straight. I have tried everything I could think of to get my hair to grow back on the top of my head even going so far as to go to a trichologist(hair doctor). With the use of her products, I was able to get some hair to grow back on my head but they still contained chemicals (i.e. propylene glycol) and remember, I am chemical sensitive. So one day, I had an epiphany! I decided to rid my life of all chemicals that I had used on my body for years. So I was searching for all natural and organic products when I came across your website. I was reading about your journey and was completely fascinated. I made my first purchase, tried everything out, fell in love, and now I cannot imagine my life without your wonderful products.
My favorite shampoo bar is the Herb Garden! When my daughter was 3 months old, we both lost a lot of hair as if either of us had hair to lose. So I have spent just as much time if not more looking for safe products to use on her that would help her hair grow back as well! She is now 3 years old and I use the herb garden on both of us for about a couple of months now. Just for reference, we both have 4c African American hair that is extremely dry, thirsty, unruly, and difficult to manage. That bar has changed all of that! We have a softness to our hair that was just not there before we used this bar. We both have so many new little hairs growing on our heads that I cannot believe it! I am amazed! Amanda, Mississippi